Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   i have a 10 gal tank with 4 male guppies 5 female mollies 1 plecostomus and 2 fry (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/i-have-10-gal-tank-4-a-367874/)

punky1991 03-18-2014 09:50 PM

i have a 10 gal tank with 4 male guppies 5 female mollies 1 plecostomus and 2 fry

2 Attachment(s)
i have a 10 gal tank with 4 male guppies 5 female mollies 1 plecostomus and 2 fry. also do you think i have enough plants for the fry

thefishnoob 03-18-2014 09:52 PM

The pleco will grow to be larger than a foot an a half. I seriously recommend moving it out.

punky1991 03-18-2014 09:57 PM

if it gets to big for my tank then ill get rid of it when it does. thanks

henningc 03-20-2014 01:32 AM

I hate to be a downer, but the mollys can grow to 4" each and need a brackish tank. I'd get rid of the pleco and the mollys. 5 mollys would be crowded in a 20L. You can maintain them in a 10gal, but at some point they will get over stressed and the trouble with slim coat will start.

thefishnoob 03-20-2014 08:22 AM

The Pleco will be okay for a few weeks.. But then as they grow I think he might become stunted. It needs space to grow, if its confined, it will grow slower and "Stunting" will occur; which leads to many problems, like deformity, disease, slow & painful death. It might not seem like a big deal now but look at this picture:
Mega Pleco Photo by noddy176 | Photobucket

punky1991 03-20-2014 09:04 AM

Its already been a few weeks more like, months lol. My grandma had Mollies Alot more then 5 in a 10 gallon tank she also had a plecostomus too. Her fish did really good. Pretty sure what I have them in is much better then what they were in when I bought them. again if I have a problem I can always give some fish away
Posted via Mobile Device

jpepe1 03-20-2014 01:17 PM

It's hard to have too many plants but those babies have to be about 10 days old? Pretty sure they'll make it.We all do things a little different but I never add salt for mollies but water quality is critical so is warmth.What concerns me is you seem to be willing to wait to see if you will have issues with pleco .You will have more success be being proactive .Good Luck

BWG 03-20-2014 03:37 PM

Sorry for the dumb question, but I can't see the pleco in the pictures, so can someone give me some hints? It must be there if everyone is IDing it as a species that gets too large. Help me out please?

thefishnoob 03-20-2014 04:37 PM

He just said he had a pleco. I agree, you cant really see him/her.

BWG 03-20-2014 04:47 PM

I know that the OP said they had a pleco, but they did not say what species. It may very well be a common or sailfin that has no business being in a 10 gallon. It could also be a dwarf species that would be fine. There are many species of plecos. Since most species won't work longterm in a 10 gallon, the odds are in your favor. I prefer playing certainties rather than odds though, so I'm more inclined to find out what it is before offering advice about it.