Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Who's eating Rummy Noses? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/whos-eating-rummy-noses-36760/)

Angel079 02-07-2010 10:19 AM

Who's eating Rummy Noses?

Alright I'm beginning to get concerned here....
I started a post yesterday cause I was missing fish (2 Rummy's) for my evening headcount.
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...egative-36730/

Lights come on this AM I look for the 2 missing one's all over again (had turned the whole tank upside down yesterday and not found them). 1 More is missing that makes 3 missing Rummy now and no where to be found, not even their remains nadda :-?

So in this tank with the Rummy I have:
Emporer about 1.5" big now (maybe lil less)
Baby Albino Cory
Baby Pleco about 1.5" now

Who would eat the Rummy's non of the fish in there seem to be big enough IMO to eat Rummy's....but me not finding them alive nor any dead remains or any sign of them anywhere in the tank period makes me assume someone must be eating them at night?

bettababy 02-07-2010 01:44 PM

It could be a combination of fish eating them... or if there are snails in the tank... if a fish dies the others would eat them quickly, which could explain why you are not finding any remains.

cbirk 02-07-2010 01:46 PM

Whats strange is usually even when they are dieing and being eatin by the other fish, you can usually find some skeletal structure for a day or two. Maybe because of the heavey vegitation you can't find the remains?

bettababy 02-07-2010 02:13 PM

cbirk,
Surprisingly enough, if there is a healthy population of snails and/or other fish in the tank... it doesn't take very long at all for them to remove all traces of a dead fish (a few hours). I do believe these were small rummys, also.

iamntbatman 02-07-2010 03:53 PM

My guess is that they're jumping somehow. Are there any gaps in the canopy they could jump through?

Angel079 02-07-2010 06:39 PM

No heavy snail pop there.
And my exp over all the yrs with much more aggressive/ larger fish then a itty bitty Tetra is that at least the head remained "left over".
The Rummy's where their full gown length just like my other rummy's; just smaller around the waist line - But even then i absolutely highly doubt the Emporer snacked them up. They're not even remotly small enough to fit in their mouth.

Iambatman I'll break the maglite out and try my best to check behind the tank now...Only "gap" is a opening large enough for the cables from filter & heater to run through, that'd need to be a VERY exact jump wouldn't it!?
It always happens at night time too...Very wired that whole matter and I already went through all plants 2x trying to find anything - nadda... :-(

Romad 02-07-2010 07:55 PM

Could be an alien invasion?

That's just too weird. Hope you figure it out ;)

Angel079 02-07-2010 08:54 PM

I check behind the tank and stand the best I could I can not find anything at all...this is indeed wierding me OUT

Mean Harri 02-07-2010 10:10 PM

Hey, exact jumps can happen. I dropped an o-ring today and it bounced off my foot. It could have gone and landed anywhere. Where did it go? In the 3 finger wide cut out along the bottom edge of the dog food bowl on the floor. This crap happens to me all the time. It can't be an easy simple bounce, roll, whatever. No, I have to search and the least likely place is the place. Moral? Expect the unexpected.

Angel079 02-07-2010 10:17 PM

This not knowing is just getting me...really really....
If I know they're dead, ok, sad but ok.
If I know someone ate them, gross but well natural
If they jumped; I'll duct tape the back 2mrw...and talk to my dog what happened to them

Its just not cool (despite all my efforts) if I had 3 dead fish hiding in this tanks and despite me sending a search & rescue team not fining them and have the NOs go sky rocking