Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   55g plant list (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/55g-plant-list-36758/)

LisaC144 02-07-2010 08:57 AM

55g plant list

1 Attachment(s)
As many of you know, I am remodeling my55g tank to turn it into a live planted tank. Since this is my first experience planting a large tank, I'm not sure how many plants is good to start with. Below is a list of my plant list so far and a layout of approx where the plants will go. Keep in mind it is a rough sketch and once I get the plants I will have a better idea of placement. All ideas and suggestions welcome and please let me know if I will need more to start with.

2 AS- Amazon Sword
1 RRóE. Red rubin
1 RCóRed crypt (red wendtii)
3 VC- Vallisneria corkscrew
1 CS- Sword, Narrow Leaf Chain (Echinodorus tenellus)
1 PW- Pennywort
1 LR--Ludwigia, Broad Leaf (Ludwigia repens)
1 NLR-Nymphea Lotus Red
1 CP--Cryptocoryne Petchii

Angel079 02-07-2010 07:33 PM

That's gonna be a nice colorful mix there, I like it :-)

LisaC144 02-07-2010 08:19 PM

Thanks! Think it will enough to start for the 55g?

Angel079 02-07-2010 10:04 PM

To give you a idea, this is what I had gotten for my latest 55g set up (which you know the pic's from the Ludwigia "corner")

2 Vallisneria Asitica, 2 Vallisneria Spiralis, 1 Pennywort, 2 Amazon Swords, 1 Hygrophilia Angustifolia, 2 Cryptocoryne Wendtii Red, 2 Cryptocoryne Walkeri, 10 Dwarf Sagittaria Subulata, 2 Hemianthus Micranthemom (Dwarf Baby Tears), 2 Ludwiga Natans, 2 Nesaea Red, 1 Nymphea Lotus Red, 1 Narrowleaf Chain Sword

(Bare in mind that was lil too much as I already started after 6 weeks taking plants back out)

LisaC144 02-08-2010 08:20 AM

So with the narrow leaf chain sword, I know you and Byron keep saying that it forms runners very quickly, which is why I didn't add Dwarf Sagittaria Subulata, but I like as well. I was going to split the chain sword in two and plant it towards each end of the tank. I thought both the chainsword and Dwarf Sagittaria Subulata were going to be too much. How do you go about placing both so it doesn't look like a jungle (since you ordered 10 Dwarf Sagittaria Subulata).

Angel079 02-08-2010 09:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Not good quality pic any more now but it's gonna give you a idea what sits where in my tank.
The Sag I took half out already as well as the Tiger Lotus(needed more room to grow then what this tank had to offer).
Hope this helps.

LisaC144 02-08-2010 09:50 AM

Awesome thank you so much! Ahhh, so you actually have your swords in front of the Vals.. I thought the Swords might hide them if in front. Good to know. I'll sort of use yours as a map when I get my plants. I think I'll throw in a few Dwarf Sagittaria Subulata now. I'm very concerned about this Eco-Complete for substrate if I need to put the fish back in the same day, or even a day later (which I prefer not to wait). This stuff causing a Ph spike has me worrying about the fish going back in the tank. I can do the drip method no problem, but worried it won't be enough.

Angel079 02-08-2010 10:27 AM

You can look here on the left under my aquarium log there's plenty 55g's planted to look through for ideas :-) And just lemme know if there's questions.

I'd not worry too much about the eco; bare in mind Mean Harri has like no hardness in his water (that's why I asked you yesterday what you KH & pH are). Just test the water and if need be re- acclimate them slowly.

LisaC144 02-08-2010 10:30 AM

So if the Ph matches the original tank water and the new water using eco-complete, is there a need to acclimate them or can I just put them back in the new tank once it reaches temperature?

Angel079 02-08-2010 10:39 AM

No if its all the same you're good. If its however something like pH 6 vs pH 7.5 then yea you wanna do that slowly.