Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Starting my Blackout....gonna miss my tank for 4 days... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/starting-my-blackout-gonna-miss-my-36742/)

cmc29 02-06-2010 09:53 PM

Starting my Blackout....gonna miss my tank for 4 days...

There has been a lot of discussion about blackouts lately. After much reading and much delaying; mine started at 9:00 pm tonight. I have what has been identified as cyanobacteria(probably butchered the spelling). I fist noticed it about 3 weeks ago. It was in my Rotala on, on my driftwood, and on my sand in spots. I vacuumed it up as much as i could and upped my ferts and it got better for a little while, but never has completely cleared up. Although I've vacuumed it several times and it's not as pronounced as before, I believe it is the time for a blackout.

I've also got a toddler at home that is very very active...to say the least..lol. I cannot simply throw a blanket over it(he'll pull it off in about a second) so i've rigged up some garbage bags to block the light. I'll post some pictures of my redneck setup soon; probably on monday.

I fed my fish a hearty meal tonight, then did a large water change (50%), careful to vacuum as much of the bacteria out of my plants and off my driftwood. Then i made my garbage bag setup and the funny thing was that the static electricity helped hold the bags to the tank(i still added some scotch tape to white-trash it up a little more).

I hope i can stay strong for the 3 days...possibly 4...if that would be the best.

@Angel...the pics are definitely coming soon, and i know you'll appreciate the "southern engineering"

I'm a little nervous about the blackout and not seeing my tank, my plants, my fish ;but i think the outcome will speak for itself.

All comments are welcome

Angel079 02-06-2010 09:59 PM

:lol: oh man...when I seen this post I couldn't wait for the 2sec it takes to load wanting to see the pictures of the "southern engineering" and then............. no pictures :cry:

I'm crossing my fingers that like for Hawkin or myself or others this will also cut your problem for good now.

cmc29 02-06-2010 10:12 PM

I'm letting the anticipation build....lol...actually i forgot the camera at my wife's office. I'll go get it tomorrow and get some pics up before the super bowl.

Angel079 02-07-2010 12:22 AM

Disastrous....tssss.....man if I can't sleep tonight its gonna be YOUR fault and your's only! :-)

cmc29 02-07-2010 04:27 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Alright Natalie..lol..here are the pictures..let me know what ya'll think...

That's my son's sweet ride behind the tank...his lightning mcqueen powerwheels

iamntbatman 02-07-2010 04:30 PM

Haha...the pictures kind of make it look like you duct taped the tank to the wall.

cmc29 02-07-2010 04:31 PM

lol...just keeping true to my roots..:-P

brettxw 02-07-2010 05:15 PM

Can I ask why you had to do that?

cmc29 02-07-2010 05:25 PM

the blackout?...or the blackout using garbage bags and tape?

Angel079 02-07-2010 06:35 PM

:thumbsup: dang that's even BETTER then I thought it would turn out....priceless...absolutely priceless...THANK YOU so much for sharing that I needed a good laugh just now:lol: