Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Considering new filter for my tank....

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Mean Harri 
#1 ·
Hey All,

As you may or may not have gathered, I'm almost complete with my aquarium transformation. The more I read about filtration with a planted tank, the more I'm concerned with flow of water out of my HOB filters, and the effect it'll have on my plants.....

I currently have two Penguin 350's... the intake tubes are about 12" from the sides of the tank, which is where the output is....

I am considering a canister filter to replace these two filters. I am wondering if one canister filter will be enough to keep the tank water clear and healthy....or if I should keep the two filters and forgo a canister.

My main concern is that the current from the HOB filters will hurt the plants....I was considering a canister because I can control the direction of the flow, where as my two HOB, I cannot.

My stock is the following...
55G tank
6 black neon tetras
6 neon tetras
2 Kribensis fish
4 diamond tetras
3 congo tetra fish....

probably going to be adding a smaller pleco or a shoal of corries...

Any advice? Thanks everyone!!

See less See more
#2 ·
You could try what I do. I wrap a panty-hose around my HOB and stretch the leg around the output of the filter. It greatly reduces the amount of flow I have.

#3 · (Edited)
Is this for the 55g in your sig?
I will recommend two canisters to you. I spent a ton of time reading and researching every aspect of this hobby before purchasing my equipment. I bought the Rena Filstar XP 3 for my 55g. I do not have it up and running yet but I have not read one bad thing about them. Anywhere. Search Youtube.com for a video on setting the Rena up. It's very simple.

The other I would recommend is Eheim Classic canster filtes. They are reliable, work well, and have been around a long time. Of all the canister filter searching I've done these are the two that I would buy. I won't even look at another brand outside of these two.
As for pricing. The cheapest I found for the Rena XP 3 was at Ken'sfish.com His price beats all others that I've seen. I made my mind up awhile ago that this was the filter I was getting. Search around the internet for prices and then look at Ken'sfish. He's a good $35 + cheaper than everywhere else. The Eheims I did not price really as I chose Rena.

#4 ·
55g & Canister.....def Eheim if you ask me; awesome quality, lasts forever, makes 0 sounds, works GREAT, needs maintenance about 1xyear....Lemme put it this way you could NOT pry my eheims off of me...only over my dead body, lovee them won't ever get nothing else any more.

#5 ·
thanks everyone for in the input!! if i go with somehting like a rena xp3 or a eheim 2217....that'll be enough for the whole tank right? i can ditch the HOB after that right?

I wonder the best way to transfer filter media....i don't want to have to cycle again.....hmmmm.....

#6 ·
I have the 2213 on my 55 g's that's doing the job just fine. but 2217 will work too, if memory serves me right you can adjust the flow on that one which is a plus.
When you get whichever filter just take all sponges and what you may have in the HOB and toss it into the canister along with everything else, shut it, turn it on, done :)

#7 ·
I didn't think there wasnt that much benefical bacteria on the filter pads, mostly used to grab any gunk.....but mostly in the bio-wheel...will the biowheel fit inside a cansiter??

#8 ·
You wont need the hob dude. The XP 3 is more than enough filter for the 55g. It comes with bio stars to house bacteria colonies in one of the filter baskets inside the filter. You can buy more and/or ceramic discs to use as well. The XP 3 has baskets in it that seperate with trays. You can have 2 or 3 layers of ceramic discs and/or bio stars for the bio part of your filter. You may be able to lay your bio wheel in the tray when first set up to seed the new discs quickly.
Word up, these canisters will out do any hob hands down.

#9 ·
Word up, these canisters will out do any hob hands down.
word up....hahaha I haven't heard that in a long time! lol.

Im gonna start looking around for an XP3.....this also means i need to build some doors to cover the front of my stand, which will be fun!!

thanks for the help.

#10 ·
No problems man. Everything Angel says about the Eheim is true. They are great filters. What really sold me on the Rena is when I looked around at videos,instructions, and pictures on tearing them down and cleaning them etc... and priming them, the Rena is absolutely easy. I've been around life long enough and am mechanical enough that you can tell what it's like to do something by watching it being done even though you've not done it yourself yet.

I will say as of last night Drs Foster and Smith wanted $185 and Ken'sfish is still $137 I believe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.