Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   A few plant questions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/few-plant-questions-36697/)

HollyinWA 02-06-2010 10:30 AM

A few plant questions

What is the shortest type of grass that will do well in low to medium lighting? I got the Drawf Sagittaria Subulata, and it is still a little taller than what I like in the foreground. If I trim it, that will take away from its natural pointed tips.

As the Corkscrew Val matures, do the blades have a thin look? Not sure if this is going to work in my tank. It is not placed right but you know how some kinds look right with what you have and others don't.

Does anyone know how tall the Anubias Congesis gets? The one I got is a good size but wondered how much taller it will get.....regarding placement. I think they are to be midground. I can look it up. Also, the one I got has some white water stains (that is what it looks like). I was afraid to rub it off and was not sure if it can come off (I lightly tried). It may be that they grew out of the holding tank and it is from the splashes of water on the top leaves. The shorter leaves do not have this. It bugs me a little, especially since it is a very healthy looking and beautiful plant!

I think that is it, but I am sure I will have more questions as I go. Thank you!

I gotta get out in the shop. :-(

cbirk 02-06-2010 10:45 AM

I Beleive Brazilian Micro Sword - Lilaeopsis brasiliensis would do well for you. I like it's looks and I have never seen it very tall (though this could be from trimming) I have never owned any, as my LFS can't seem to keep it in stock when they get it :/

Mean Harri 02-06-2010 10:59 AM

Hey Holly. I was considering this to use at one point and it may work for you. http://www.sweetaquatics.com/index.p...roducts_id=261

I'm not sure if the Val will widen in it's blade structure but it does grow upwards. You may try getting more of it. I am getting the V. Asiatica and planting a lot of it in a corner to fill that corner in. I'll be getting around 10 plants of it so it makes a wall of sorts coming from the left rear corner out at a 45 degree angle.

The Anubius I just copy/pasted this: Unlike many other Anubias , “Congensis” grows quite tall and its leaves are rather long. The leaves themselves can be over 8” in length. The plant can grow upwards of twelve inches tall and has been recorded at around twenty-one inches in height. As a result, it is suitable only for larger aquariums that can accommodate the height.

HollyinWA 02-06-2010 11:39 AM

Thanks so much. I will check that page out.

Regarding the Val, it is not the wideness of the blade but the thickness....thin like, not dense enough, somewhat transparent. Not sure if that made sense either.

I will look at the V. Asiatica. I probably saw it, but can't remember what it looks like. Sounds like a good plan you have.

I figured that this particular Anubia I got seems to be taller or will be taller than most. The Nana that I have (already had this from Petsmart) appears to be the opposite...will not get as tall. I really like the Congensis....really healthy looking leaves and nice and solid looking and a nice tone of rich green. I am going to order more of these. I only ordered one because I was not sure on them. Thank you for looking that up for me. I had a phone call so I got sidetracked.

I am playing hooky today......I think...just sent them an email. I feel bad, but sometimes one has to do what is best for oneself. I really will not benefit much being there today. Although, I usually do not do this and don't want to look flakey. I had hit burnout in the business, and I am trying to balance it better around my family, home and pets. The fish have really preoccupied me these days.

Thanks again!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mean Harri (Post 320334)
Hey Holly. I was considering this to use at one point and it may work for you. Sweet Aquatics

I'm not sure if the Val will widen in it's blade structure but it does grow upwards. You may try getting more of it. I am getting the V. Asiatica and planting a lot of it in a corner to fill that corner in. I'll be getting around 10 plants of it so it makes a wall of sorts coming from the left rear corner out at a 45 degree angle.

The Anubius I just copy/pasted this: Unlike many other Anubias , “Congensis” grows quite tall and its leaves are rather long. The leaves themselves can be over 8” in length. The plant can grow upwards of twelve inches tall and has been recorded at around twenty-one inches in height. As a result, it is suitable only for larger aquariums that can accommodate the height.

HollyinWA 02-06-2010 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbirk (Post 320322)
I Beleive Brazilian Micro Sword - Lilaeopsis brasiliensis would do well for you. I like it's looks and I have never seen it very tall (though this could be from trimming) I have never owned any, as my LFS can't seem to keep it in stock when they get it :/

Thank you. I do remember seeing that name. I will look into it. :-)

HollyinWA 02-06-2010 11:53 AM

Quote:

Hey Holly. I was considering this to use at one point and it may work for you. Sweet Aquatics

I remember seeing this one. Not sure why I did not order it...may have looked up the lighting. I just looked this up on Google as well for more info and the height seems good.....5-10 cm. That would make it close to 4 inches at the tallest which would be better than what I have in there now. The only thing is it takes medium to high light, so I hope my lighting would be good enough. I can always give it a try. Thanks again.

HollyinWA 02-06-2010 12:06 PM

Quote:

I am getting the V. Asiatica and planting a lot of it in a corner to fill that corner in. I'll be getting around 10 plants of it so it makes a wall of sorts coming from the left rear corner out at a 45 degree angle.

I just realized that what you are getting is the Corkscrew Val...same as what I got. That is the scientific name...what you stated above. When you get it, let me know what you think. I think it could just be that I do not have enough of it to spread around or the right spots for it. They just do not fit in with what I have or something. I left some fake plants in there out of height desperation, so this is not helping. I will eventually get it right. I may end up not using the Vals. I am getting an good idea now on the type of textures that I want.

Mean Harri 02-06-2010 12:15 PM

I had to rack my brain to get an idea of what I wanted to place where. I picked the plants and the the g/f came up with a layout. I was kind of stuck and once she drew it out I then manipulated it from there. I have a legal size envelope laying here with circles and names etc... I've redrawn it about 3 times now. If it turns out in my tank near as I it is on paper I'll be happy. Ok, I can be picky and maybe not totally happy. But pleasantly surprised should creep in to my mean old bones lol

HollyinWA 02-06-2010 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mean Harri (Post 320371)
I had to rack my brain to get an idea of what I wanted to place where. I picked the plants and the the g/f came up with a layout. I was kind of stuck and once she drew it out I then manipulated it from there. I have a legal size envelope laying here with circles and names etc... I've redrawn it about 3 times now. If it turns out in my tank near as I it is on paper I'll be happy. Ok, I can be picky and maybe not totally happy. But pleasantly surprised should creep in to my mean old bones lol

You have put a lot of thought into it. I am sure it will pay off. You may find though, like me, after you get the plants you will have even a better idea of what will work for you and what won't.

Angel079 02-06-2010 06:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's another idea for ya...if you like something green but short short like 1" or less...Java Moss Carpet; just snapped you a picture of mine that I recently 'built' next to it you see some baby runner of Sagettaria for size comparison.
I personally like it either for small areas or to carpet a larger portion of the tank (eg the whole front of the 10 and the back left open for stem plants).