Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   expecting? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/expecting-366682/)

Holstein 03-16-2014 04:55 PM

expecting?

I recently added some plants fake and real to my 55-65 hoping I would finally get some babies from my fishies (fancy guppies, ballon mollies, and a pair of platys) im notising more and more my platy who genrally is very active in the tank spends more of her time on the planted side amoungts the fish she is also very pregnant looking is her behavoir because she going to give birth soon or could somthing be wrong?

Sylverclaws 03-17-2014 10:01 PM

Plants provide hiding, security and food. Fish even not pregnant will often hang out in the plants.

Now because she's just chilling out in them and is very pregnant, it is highly likely she's getting close to giving birth. If that's the only problem you're having with her, and she's still been eating and looks bright, isn't swimming odd(like going back end up or something, often when in labor they will "Pace" and swim up and down in one spot or from side to side), it's most likely that. Though many will forego food for a day or so around labor time, some wont.

Here's an idea for you. When mine start getting near the end, I like to do a big water change. A nice 30% change, be real gentle about it and don't bump anything...sometimes fresh, clean water will help them relax and go into labor. I usually get babies the night after our weekly water change, or if I see one having trouble I'll do a small change(smaller than the weekly, maybe 15% if I've already done one for the week, it wont hurt), now and usually wake up to little wigglers. =)

rsskylight04 03-17-2014 10:38 PM

If she is not resting ON the bottom she's probaly ok. If you look at her head on, and the front of her belly appears flat and squared off, that's a sure sigh that she's about ready to drop.
Good luck!
Can you post a photo?

Holstein 03-18-2014 12:05 PM

thank you for the advice and information I can try to get a picture tonight. Also when the fry come should i put them in there own tank?

rsskylight04 03-18-2014 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holstein (Post 4135154)
thank you for the advice and information I can try to get a picture tonight. Also when the fry come should i put them in there own tank?

If you leave them in with the adults they will almost certainly disappear, maybe not, but I would not risk it, so yes put them in a seperate tank.

Sylverclaws 03-18-2014 02:52 PM

Yeah, it's highly likely the adults will hunt the babies down and eat them. Even in extremely well planted, large tanks with a lot of places to hide, mollies tend to be very...well, mine will hunt them until they get them when hungry if I don't move them. The little brats are thorough about it too, they search, they dig, they try to force themselves behind things they can't get behind, and some babies are dumb and scare right out to someones waiting mouth. Hiding and stuff helps until you can get them out of the way usually, but many will still get eaten.

It's always good to have a nursery tank. =) I wouldn't suggest store bought nets unless you can find some a foot long and at least six inches wide, and that's still pretty small. I make my own nets, more than a foot long, about eight inches wide, six inches deep or so....I love my homemade nets, they have more room to grow and don't get bored provided there aren't too many of them. If you get more than 15 or so, a 20 gallon tank or bigger would be recommended as a nursery. Mollies grow pretty fast if given enough space and well cared for, but remember to keep that bioload in check, they have a big one.

Holstein 03-18-2014 08:05 PM

sadly it looks like I got home to late and he was very non pregnant and no fry in sight the nursery tank (10 gallon) is still getting set up and tomorrow im going to move the guppy moms to it

rsskylight04 03-18-2014 08:21 PM

Be sure to look VERY carefully. The fry are so tiny, barely visible to the naked eye. When I bred livebearers I used a 4x magnifying glass to look for them. You'd be surprised how many you miss with just your eye!
Good luck.

Sylverclaws 03-18-2014 09:12 PM

Oh yes...try -very- gently running your hands in the gravel near corners or around plants. And I mean -carefully- and slow. Sometimes I use a turkey baster to gently blow water around the edges of the tanks, you want to be three inches up and at a diagonal angle and blow gentle and they sometimes pop out. Blow too hard and you could hurt them though...so get down there and look really, really closely in the gravel around the edges, see if you can spot any. They can hide so easily and well. Takes a while to be able to spot them right off. =) Unless you have a lot of very hungry fish, and even then, it's highly unlikely they ate them all within the day, but it is unfortunately possible.

I hope you find some. Plant some thick java moss in the corners with a bit of log or something nearby that the java moss can sorta hang over, they can hide in and under it pretty good. And in areas with penned in crystalwort, which is a top floating plant unless you can attach it to something, but better at the top in thick patches, I've found my babies will get in and on top of that and be safe for a time.

Holstein 03-19-2014 09:58 PM

Didnt find any sadly i have 3 fish(2 guppies, 1 molly) i put in the nursery tank and today I got sent home with 4 guppy fry by my doctor who was hapy to be rid of them