Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Received my plants today! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/received-my-plants-today-36667/)

HollyinWA 02-05-2010 06:33 PM

Received my plants today!

Everything arrive safely and well packaged and so fast! I was so excited thinking about this, but it is kind of bad timing. :-? I have a small event showing that came up somewhat at the last minute for my candle business. I wanted to bring more candle products when I show up tomorrow. It is not a major deal but they wanted the crafter's to be at the store to represent our products. They sell my candles at Utopia in the mall. I was going to get some work done today for this event tomorrow, but I did not want the plants sitting packed up, etc, and had a water change to do this morning and some other things. Looks like I won't be able to bring as much tomorrow as I thought I would.

Anyway, I am still excited, but I am stressed a little. :shock: The live plant route is definitely new for me and it is going to take extra patience and time. I am planting them, but have to get used to the fact they are not perfect right off the bat....size, etc.

My favorites so far out of the ones I got are:

Anubias Congesis (really love this one)
Ludwiga Natans
Red Melon Sword

The Pennywort will probably look better as it matures, but not sure about the roots that come out on the stems. I no this is what the are supposed to do but I don't like it when it is real noticeable. I think they just need to get more leaves....thicker. The Val Corkscrew looks kinda thin looking.....the thickness of the blades. I think I like the Dwarf Sagittaria Subulata better. I ended up not getting the Narrowleaf Sword Chain. Which one is better....the Narrowleaf Sword Chain or the Dwarf Sagittaria.

Down the road, I will have a better idea of the types I like best. I planted of few of these in my daughter's tank, so I took out that tall fake plant, which I miss somewhat. It is going to take some time getting used to the new look and not being the right heights yet. I will have to play around moving things until I get it right.

I may end up with some questions. I will let you know how it goes and will post pictures when I think it looks halfway decent. Not tonight, but someday soon.

~Holly

JohnnyD44 02-05-2010 06:59 PM

congrats....i'm in the process of placing my order as we speak!! i'm going to give this 'mary' lady a call once I get my cart filled.....

good luck with your event this weekend!

Angel079 02-05-2010 07:07 PM

Congratulations! So despite the stress you at least have them all in water now right?

If you look on my aquariums my "55g Rainbow" the 3rd picture you'll see a WHOLE bunch older grown out Pennywort - I can't say if this is what you'd like to see or now; but if not trimmed that's what it'll wind up looking like lol

I lovveee the Ludwiga Natans too; I think I even suggested that for ya :-)

And you're right over time you'll get a better idea of what plants you like best for your set ups....and hey worst case start swapping plants with other members here online over time :-)

Mean Harri 02-05-2010 07:16 PM

So you're the one that sold out the Ludwigia Natans? better get plantin'. These psychos around here are gonna want pics. Oh my Did I just say that? Picture nutso's lol all ya'll

JohnnyD44 02-05-2010 08:44 PM

yeah i was bummed when the ludwigia's were sold out....anyone know how quickly they re-stock?

Mean Harri 02-05-2010 09:24 PM

Hey Johnny. Sweet Aquatics has joined the forum as a user. possibly PM them or e mail at their business. I've e mailed twice and Mary responds fast. Great people. I love small businesses that are on their game. I saw they were expecting a new shipment the other day. The web site may not be updated and they may have the plants. Just don't buy all the Coffeefolia. I love that plant. It's my favorite of all the plants. I have o get at least one.

HollyinWA 02-06-2010 10:56 AM

Thanks everyone for the congrats! :-) I did not get out into the candle shop until about 7:00! I just did not want to and kept fiddling with the tanks on and off. I am beat this morning and really do not want to go to this small event from 3-7 today. When I cannot do something right/or the way I want to do it, I do not like to attend any kind of show or event. I feel like playing hooky. :twisted: :oops:

@ Natalie....I did get everything planted except a few when you posted. I did some more later and moved a few around and then I put a few in the new 10 gallon tank floating at the top until I have time to plant thenm and figure out where. I actually had to take a few of some of the original swords out of the 14 gallon and planted them in the new 10 gallon which I seeded. Now that you got me addicted to live plants and on a role, I want them in every tank. :roll: Not sure what I will do with them if I get a sick fish that needs to go in there. Can some medications be used with plants? If not, I will have to pull them at that time....not sure. I have extra plants now because of the different variety being added.

I still do not have the tanks looking exactly the way I want them, but they will have to do for now. It is hard when the plants are not the full height yet. I did leave some fake plants in to give some height for the fish and for my eyes. I will move them as they grow.

Mean Harri 02-06-2010 11:01 AM

Holly. Was your tank up and running before planting it? Was it already cycled as well?

HollyinWA 02-06-2010 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mean Harri (Post 320302)
Holly. Was your tank up and running before planting it? Was it already cycled as well?

Good morning,

Yes, I seeded it not long after Christmas and planted it with fake plants and it has been cycled for several weeks. It never did show ammonia or Nitrites because of the seeding. I got lucky on this tank. This is the 56 gallon. I have a picture of one of the Black Angels under my aquariums. However, the tank was not fully decorated even with the fake plants....also had to move that Eheim intake tube over and I still have to raise the darn powerhead up. I have the longer piece of tubing to cut but just have not done it. It is an eye sore to me right now. That is the procrastinating side to me...some things take me awhile to do. I am really SLOW at planting too.

I started with my daughter's 3 Phantom Tetras and 3 Platies that I had to pull out of her tank when the cycling got messed up...ammonia spike and I did not have the heart to put them back in her tank because they love the bigness. I have guppies in her tank now and 2 very small Angels. Once the Angels get bigger (big enough) they will go in my 56 gallon tank that has the older juveniles. I found the two black bigger juveniles (raised at a local Angelfish breeder) at the LFS and that size is hard to find. I could not pass them up the second time I saw them in there. So, I have to wait for these little guys to get a little bigger. This tank is going to be mainly an Angel tank. I am very partial to their looks and there personality. I am already attached to them.

I think I have a better idea of what plants will work best for me and what may not work as well. This will take some time to get it the way I want it, but in the end it will be great!

~Holly