Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   Angels laid eggs and now hate each other! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/angels-laid-eggs-now-hate-each-366666/)

cyclesnipas 03-16-2014 04:04 PM

Angels laid eggs and now hate each other!

My 2 angels 1 gold,1 black, both around 3" have spawned in my 45 gallon. The gold one is guarding the eggs viciously attacking the black one to the point where its top fin is shredded and has some damaged scales on its sides. I was always under the assumption the black one was the male, guess I was wrong? Why is the gold one attacking the other so viciously? What should I do? Should I remove the eggs?

Captain Jim Dandy 03-16-2014 07:00 PM

I also have gold/black pair that tend to be mean to each other with eggs present..you would think they would never make up and spawn together again. A couple times I have moved the victim out for a month.

cyclesnipas 03-16-2014 07:21 PM

After watching for a bit I noticed the black Angel was trying to eat the eggs which I believe is why the Gold one was chasing it away. Well the eggs are gone now cuz apparently they both got hungry and decided to chow down on them.

Tolak 03-16-2014 07:27 PM

Rookie parents, get a divider. What you do with the eggs depends on if you want to breed angels, have a pair of angels to look at, or whatever. They may calm down if you pull them, though I've had pairs that could only be together when actively spawning.

cyclesnipas 03-16-2014 07:34 PM

They got along perfectly before this. Always together never a hint of aggression at all. Totally shocked by the change in behavior. I was always under the assumption they guard eggs together. Is it most likely the male or female that was guarding them?

Tolak 03-16-2014 07:53 PM

From my experience the female usually stays close in, male goes further out & patrols the perimeter. New pairs will often have some goofy issues, he may be getting too close for her liking. Angels are cichlids, sometimes pairs have a falling out & it gets ugly.

cyclesnipas 03-16-2014 08:12 PM

I have no interest in breeding angels though it appears its well beyond my control. Luckily the aggression has subsided since the eggs were eaten. How often will this happen?

Tolak 03-16-2014 08:27 PM

I've had an average of about every 9 days on well conditioned pairs kept at 82F. If you remove the spawn that should calm things down some if they've mellowed a bit after the eggs have been eaten. I've found they can get snarky after removing a spawn, I like to feed them right after pulling a spawn, seems to distract them from each other.

cyclesnipas 03-16-2014 08:55 PM

Is it true that a higher temp like 82 will increase the likelihood of spawning? Will lowering the temp to below 80 reduce this?

Tolak 03-16-2014 09:15 PM

It does help. I'll bring pairs down to 77, maybe 78F to rest them, feed 2 or 3 times weekly, ease up on water changes, less food means less waste produced.