Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Journals (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/)
-   -   New here on forum.thought I share a few pics. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/new-here-forum-thought-i-share-36610/)

tropicalfishkeeper 02-04-2010 03:58 PM

New here on forum.thought I share a few pics.

3 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum, and thought I would share a picture of my aquarium.:-D It is a 46 gallon bowfront ready for some German Blue Rams. I need to add some more plants to the aquarium though.

I also need a background, what color should I get?

Thanks.

Angel079 02-04-2010 04:11 PM

Hello & Welcome to the forum!!

That Driftwood piece is wonderful, nice find!!!

Had you ever considered live plants? Some Anubias on that driftwood would look so awesome....

aunt kymmie 02-04-2010 07:06 PM

I agree with Angel, that's probably one of the nicest pieces of driftwood I've seen! How much will you sell it to me for?? LOL
For my backgrounds I always use black. I like the way the colors of my fish stand out against black.
Welcome to the forum!

Angel079 02-04-2010 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 319381)
For my backgrounds I always use black. I like the way the colors of my fish stand out against black.

:oops: see me again totally focused on pictures and not even paying attention to the actual question there, SORRY....I'm right there with Kym; I love black as well; Window tint from your trusted Walmart does a great job;-)

tropicalfishkeeper 02-04-2010 07:34 PM

Thanks everyone.

I have tried to do live plants, but somehow I end up killing them. :-(

Actually, it is an artifical piece of driftwood, that I bought from petsmart for $24.99. I still think it look good though.

I was thinking about doing a black background, but wanted to ask people first to get some opinions.

I've never heard of doing window tint, but that is actually a neat idea.:-D

Angel079 02-04-2010 07:58 PM

Ahhh Brittany...Look at my tanks at the aquarium log here I'll gladly walk you through each step of the way how to get live plants & keep them alive; have done that just recently with several members via PM & Posts to switch them from plastic to live and it worked great.

So if you'd like to start down that route; feel free to knock on my door any time :-) THE most important is the right light and that's where most fail. And contrary to popular believes you do not need CO2, but you do indeed need fish (which I'd hope you wanna have anyway). And really keeping live plants is TOO simple.
And actually helps you to have good water al the time as plants act like a bio filter within your tank :-)

I love windo tint; cause you get these posters...then you use scotch tape then its bowing out after a while...naw not good looking, window tint is nicer & easier :-)

sericinda 02-04-2010 08:21 PM

Pretty tank :) I had a blue background on my 55 but I went and bought black today and plan to change it this weekend. I'm just not loving the blue.

I don't know what kind of fish you folks keep, but I have cichlids and puffers and blue crayfish and they all destroy live plants faster than I can add them...live isn't always a good option for everyone.

Angel079 02-04-2010 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sericinda (Post 319439)
I don't know what kind of fish you folks keep, but I have cichlids and puffers and blue crayfish and they all destroy live plants faster than I can add them...live isn't always a good option for everyone.

Its not the fish that's your problem there its your blue cray ;-)

rsheets 02-04-2010 11:10 PM

Nice. I have the same driftwood thing. Check out my 150gal video or pics. It doesn't grow algae on it very good either.

jeaninel 02-04-2010 11:50 PM

I always look at that driftwood piece when I go to Petsmart. I really like it. I just haven't had the extra money for it.

I'm partial to black backgrounds also.