Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Wood tannins and stocking of a 10 gal... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/wood-tannins-stocking-10-gal-36591/)

poolman84 02-04-2010 09:50 AM

Wood tannins and stocking of a 10 gal...

Hello everyone, this is my first post. First of all, I have a 10 gallon with 4 Serpaes, 1 Cory cat and 1 live plant (an Anubias 'Nana'). Is this a light, moderate or heavily stocked tank? I'd like to keep it on the light side, but I'd also like to add another Cory or 2. Is this recommended? I'm also looking to add a Tiger Lotus plant whenever my shop gets it in. Also, I recently added a piece of drift wood that I completely leached the tannins out of, so I thought. When I turned on the light this morning I could detect a slight color change. I think it makes the tank look more natural which is what I'm going for. Is this bad for the tank? If so what do I do to remove the color?

Thanks,
Josh

Angel079 02-04-2010 10:03 AM

Hello & Welcome Josh

The Serpaes if you notice aggression/ fin nipping amongst them I'd stock up to 6 which will stop the fin nipping in most cases.
Do you know what Cory you have or can post a picture? They ideally should be kept in groups, so I'd strongly suggest dep on what Cory's you have (which means the adult size they'll grow) to def stock these up for like 5-6 Cats.
And more then 1 plant would be a nice add on for all these fish :-)
Tannis stained water for the fish you have is perfect actually, pers I love the look and no i will not harm neither the fish nor the plants :-)
What may help you if you're not sure apart from asking; is a calculator we use here AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

poolman84 02-04-2010 10:16 AM

Thanks for the quick reply Angel. The serpaes are "nipping" or chasing each other actually... I'm going to pick up 2 more of them today. As for the cory, it's an albino.. does that identify it enough? Are they "Bronze corydoras"?

Angel079 02-04-2010 10:19 AM

Unfortunately that's just how they are. Mine were causing so much troubles in the 45g I had to bring the gang back...
Could you pls look under my tank's log here on my 45g the 7th picture....Is that the Cory you have as well New 45g - 45 gallon Freshwater fish tank
Albino is Albino Cory and Bronze Cory is something else. The Albino's stay smaller as adults. So if you had Albino's (which is what you see on my tanks picture there) then I'd get 5-6 of them (Whatever your budget allows).

poolman84 02-04-2010 10:30 AM

yeah that's what I have, an albino. thanks for the help.

Kelso 02-04-2010 10:30 AM

Wait...there's an actual size difference?...because they are both Corydoras aenus, just one is an albino strand...

Angel079 02-04-2010 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelso (Post 319132)
Wait...there's an actual size difference?...because they are both Corydoras aenus, just one is an albino strand...

I can only go by the 1's I always had; my Bronze always grew loner and bigger around then my albino's; The albino's always stayed about ~ 0.5-0.25" smaller and no so round as the bronze's.

poolman84 02-04-2010 11:08 AM

Yeah kelso that didn't make sense to me either. But it is possible for other traits besides amelanism or albino to be passed down with it due to inbreeding and such, which is required for full "broods" of albino babies. so dwarfism could have been inadvertently bred into the stock of albinos.... but I digress... Angel, thanks for the help, I'm going to pick up some more cory's and serpae's today along with some more plants soon.

Angel079 02-04-2010 11:15 AM

You're welcome :-)

Byron 02-04-2010 11:44 AM

I feel the need to caution you here, Josh. But first, welcome to the forum; it's nice to have you with us.

I am not of the view that acquiring two more serpae will solve your problem. It is true that this species are less inclined to nip each other with larger numbers, but that generally means 9 or more, although they may settle down a bit with 6. But there is also the problem of the tank volume. Even 6 in a 10g is going in my opinion to be stressful on a fish like serpae. Being of a disputatious nature, they need as much open water as they can get to keep out of each other's way. In larger numbers and in more space they might calm down. One solution would be to consider another species of similar looking fish and see if your local fish store would exchange; many will when they know the reason, after all, they want your business and they should be glad to see an aquarist who is concerned about the health of his fish. We can discuss other species if you find this an option; there are several very similar in appearance, though not so readily available.

On the corydoras, as Angel correctly said, they need to be in a group. Like the tetras, they are shoaling fish that live together in large groups and being in a group causes such fish much less stress, and that means they are healthier and have stronger immune systems to fight off various things. Whatever you decide on the serpae, do get a couple more Corydoras; with your one I would get 2 more, a group of 3 will work in my experience.

Byron.