Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   10 gallon (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/10-gallon-36569/)

xrayjeeper83 02-03-2010 08:44 PM

10 gallon

Ok just got a 10 gallon tank for free. I already have a 5 gallon with 4 neons in it. I plan on swapping over the neons over to the 10 once its up and running. What else would you suggest to put in it.

thanks

stephanieleah 02-03-2010 10:17 PM

If I were you (and I'm not :-)) I'd suggest more neons. And some shrimp and some plants.

What will you put in the 5 gallon, that's the question I'd have trouble with.

Angel079 02-03-2010 10:23 PM

I'd def up the Neon's to like ~10 and then a small group of small Cory (like the panda's) and then around 5-6 of them and a nice bunch of plants and then that's done :-)

Oh and the old 5g I'd def set up with nice plants for shrimp heck yea!

Kelso 02-03-2010 10:58 PM

I pretty much like Angel's idea for the ten, but don't you think that's a lot of neons in a small tank? I'd say maybe 7 tops. Cories should be good at what Angel said though. She knows them well. ;)

iamntbatman 02-03-2010 11:01 PM

Well, neons are really tiny fish with a tiny bioload. If it was well-planted I think ten would be alright.

Kelso 02-03-2010 11:22 PM

Granted they're small, but it doesn't seem like a lot of room for ten of them. Just my opinion more or less. It's be kinda cramped for them, you know what I mean? I used to have 6 white clouds in a ten gallon...just didn't do much because they didn't have much area to move. Gave em to my friend, who put them in his 55. They looked a little more enthused. Like I said, just my opinion.

1077 02-04-2010 06:28 AM

I'm actually not a fan of placing corydoras in anything smaller than 20 gal long except for during quarantine.
For ten gallon, I would up the neons to 10 or twelve with the knowledge that with daily feeding ,that water changes would in my view ,be on the order of 50 percent each week.
Four or five corys and six or eight neons would work ,I just find that the corys seem to do better in groups of eight or more and feel that 10 gal just isn't suitable for those numbers.
Would find a group of six to eight kuhlii loaches more suited for the ten gal so long as plenty of places for them to explore was provided. Just my opinion.

1077 02-04-2010 06:40 AM

Tried to edit previous post but was late. With six to eight kuhlii loaches in ten gal. Perhaps six neons rather than a dozen.:roll:

xrayjeeper83 02-04-2010 05:41 PM

thanks for the info. I was leaning toward more neons, after all this is for my gf's daughter and she loves em, and wasnt really sure about a bottom feeder. But I think I will start looking for some cory's.

So just to recap yall think that 8 neons and 4 corys with some plants(how many would yall call fully planted?) would be a good idea?

xrayjeeper83 02-06-2010 09:50 PM

Welp just got 6 more neons for a total for 9 and 3 albino cory's. Still have to get some plants for it