Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Emergency (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/emergency-365402/)

milindsaraswala 03-14-2014 12:05 AM

Emergency

I have 18 Gallon tank and I was having 10 fancy Guppies, 8 Cardinal Tetra, 1 Honey Gourami, 2 Amano and 5 Ghost shrimp.

Yea I know you guys will tell me that for 18 Gallon, it is over crowded but it was not for long only for 1 week and I was preparing another 8 gallon tank and I was going to separate them.

Now I have hair grass, Aanacharis, Java moss on dw, Anubias nana and Cabomba
caroliniana

I dosing seachem pack level 1 and 2 as per their chart everyday. As was dosing excel my Aanacharis start melting and I found that excel is not for it.

But other than my 5 fancy guppy, 5 Cardinal Tetra, 1 Honey Gourami died. First day I saw 1 guppy died and it was in that hand of ghost shrimp, then next another same way so I thought it is issue with shrimp they are catching and eating them. So I separated shrimps only ghost shrimp. But still other fish were died

I did yesterday morning 40% water change, I will again do it again today to stabilize things.

Yea forget to mention Ammonia is 0, Nitrate is 0 and nitrate is 0

So understand that it is not shrimp something else is there. I feel I was dosing fertilizer every that is reason. Do this can happen ??

I will stop dosing for a while

rsskylight04 03-14-2014 12:17 AM

I don't know much about aquarium fertilizers, but I don't think you should add it everyday. It will increase TDS ( total dissolved solids) and thereby lower oxygen levels. I'm really just guessing here so hopefuly someone who KNOWS will post a more dedinative answer.
Good luck!

RSVBiffer 03-14-2014 02:36 PM

I dose ferts everyday, rather than once or twice a week, and don't have a problem. As long as you are adding the correct daily dosage then I doubt it would cause you a problem and suspect that the issue may lay elsewhere. As you said, you are very heavily stocked and wonder if this may be behind the problem.

Flint 03-14-2014 02:41 PM

How long has the tank been set up?
Posted via Mobile Device

jpepe1 03-14-2014 05:09 PM

I"m questioning the accuracy of that test kit.How could a tank with that stock have 0 nitrate

milindsaraswala 03-15-2014 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 4112474)
How long has the tank been set up?
Posted via Mobile Device

3 Months

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpepe1 (Post 4113130)
I"m questioning the accuracy of that test kit.How could a tank with that stock have 0 nitrate

Well as you emphasis on accuracy of test kit. I did test again and I found
Ammonia :- 0 ppm
Nirite :- 0 ppm
Nitrate:- 5 ppm
pH :- 7.6

Well now I am more concern as my 1 more cardinal tetra died it was to total 8 now it is only 2 and guppies where 11 now it is only 4. I literally stop dosing
Another thing which is baffling me is any of the shrimp is not get affected they are doing very well.

I am doubting two things Excel and old worm food (3-4 yr old). I throw all food and stop dosing Excel.

But I am looking for help as If I add fish it should not repeat and I am not going to add fish until 1 month.