Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Discus or a Satanoperca Species? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/discus-satanoperca-species-36530/)

Kelso 02-03-2010 09:58 AM

Discus or a Satanoperca Species?

Alright...I'm really struggling to make a decision.

My final stocking for my 75 gallon looks like this:

4-5 Amazon Puffers
7-8 Panda, Peppered, and Bronze Cories
Now here's the thing...I want one or two more fish but I cannot decide.
I want either a discus or a jurupari of some sort. I'm fully prepared to take on a satanoperca species...but as for a discus, I know squat. My water is oh so very acidic and soft, so I have water down. But space, temperament, do I need more than one, should I get a pair? How will they fair with the puffers? Could I get one Discus and one Earth eater? If I couldn't get two discus, should I get a breeding pair of the satanoperca species I choose? Help me please! Discus are looking more and more attractive to me, and I want to know if I'm capable of taking on this beautiful species!

Angel079 02-03-2010 10:15 AM

I hadn't kept them myself yet but been eying them forever now too....based of my research here's what I can tell ya, maybe that helps a lil
They are pretty shy, therefore a heavy planted tank with floating covers is ideal. Best advise I found that you should keep them in groups of 4-5 Discus; but once they begin breeding they won't allow no one else in their breeding territory. Other fish from the Cichlidae group are fine in the tank set up as long as its all non aggressive fish like in your case. My understand during research is to establish the tank first and then introduce them later on.
IMO pers opinion; you got the right water, a good sized tank, getting plants and most of all you have the brains for it...I say go for them.

A side note on the Cory Cats; your chances are well the Panda's & Peppered will school together; but not with the Bronze

aunt kymmie 02-03-2010 10:16 AM

Discus and puffers together?? Nooooo. Discus will do great with cories, though. Discus are best kept in multiples, with five being the minimum, IMHO. (More experienced discus keepers than myself will tell you that 6 is the minimum or that a breeding pair are fine by themselves.) A 75gl won't be a large enough tank for five full grown discus. I know nothing about the other species of fish you are considering. Just my 2 cents.

Kelso 02-03-2010 10:28 AM

Aww boo. =/ Someday then. I Have everything they need but the size of the tank. And yeah, I got those cories in my 28...The bronzes do hang with the others fairly often, but when they do, all of them are right next to each other. Did I tell you...out of all the eggs she laid, I have 1 fry. Hmm...maybe a breeding pair could work, but if your saying no kymmie to the puffers, I mind as well not try. What a shame. At least you guys helped me decide on something definite!

1077 02-03-2010 10:45 AM

I kept five adult Discus that I raised from size of fifty cent piece in a 80 gallon tank for nearly two years. I would recommend that adult fish be purchased for little fish(discus) ,,need several small feedings a day to achieve growth potential and to prevent stunting. These frequent feedings also mean frequent water changes to maintain water quality.. Adult discus don't require the same amount of protein that small discus do and twice daily feedings and weekly water change would suffice IMHO. Young discus as mentioned will need several (three or four0 feedings each day and in my expierience,,benefit from two to three water changes a week. Some who care for these young fish change large amounts of water on daily basis but mine seemed to fair well with three feedings each day and three weekly 25 to 30 percent water changes.Opinions Vary.
The only cory species that I am aware of that would appreciate the 82 to 84 degree water that nearly all keepers of this fish keep them in ,is the Sterbai cory. Water is too warm for longterm health and happiness of other corys. I kept mine with sterbai corys,and German blue and gold rams though all but one of the rams died due to moderately hard water that I attempted to keep them in. Discus Faired well and grew quickly in moderately hard water with pH of 7.4 but they were tank raised specimens that had been acclimated to the harder water.
Fish can be skittish but once they become comfortable in new enviornment and the enviornment is maintained to preserve water that suits them, they are indeed a lovely fish and not too dificult. They do not tolerate poor or deteriorating water conditions well. Hope some of this helps.

Angel079 02-03-2010 11:14 AM

Kelso, don't even get me STARTED on the egg matter urg! Hey a least 1 made it right!?

1077 dang good catch there with the Temp needs I hadn't even thought about this earlier.

Kelso 02-03-2010 11:17 AM

Ehh, I keep my all my tanks at 80 degrees. I haven't encountered and surprises thus far...heck, my cories even bred in the warm water. I am happy one made it though! Now I got four Bronze cories!

aunt kymmie 02-03-2010 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel079 (Post 318476)
1077 dang good catch there with the Temp needs I hadn't even thought about this earlier.

I missed that too! Duh...

Angel079 02-03-2010 11:29 AM

To break it down Kelso....
Pepper's in a range of 72-79F
Panda's 72-77F
Bronze 67-82F

So 80 is workable but pretty borderline; pers I'd prop dial it down 2-3 degrees (which I donno if that's workable for the Puffers)

Kelso 02-03-2010 11:35 AM

Yeah the puffs will be fine...I guess I'll knock it to 78. Wouldn't hurt anyone. It's just easier in my mind that all four of my tanks are running at 80. I'll change it now...I had it that way after my ich outbreak a couple months ago...just never dialed it back down, haha