Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   lighting fixture for two independent bulbs? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/lighting-fixture-two-independent-bulbs-36529/)

stephanieleah 02-03-2010 09:23 AM

lighting fixture for two independent bulbs?

I'm looking for a lighting fixture to put on my glass cover that has has wiring for two fluorescent bulbs that can be turned on and off independently of one another. Does anyone know of such a product? I'm having a hard time finding a fixture that is 30" as well...does anyone know of a company that has lots and lots of options? I've only checked the Drs. Foster-Smith website and the Aqueon website.

Angel079 02-03-2010 09:49 AM

I seen double fixtures before; but I can't remember ever seen a small one that's sep wired.....

DIY project???

stephanieleah 02-03-2010 01:48 PM

I knew you'd say that!!! I'm not crafty like you, girl, fixing your own attic and making your own tank stands. That's why I'm broke...I have to buy things that other people make.

Angel079 02-03-2010 02:33 PM

:lol: I'm not crafty by no mean, believe me!!!

I was just saying thou....if you can't find them....you know...... :lol: Ask hubby ... "Trade light fixture for cooking meat @ dinner" :-D

stephanieleah 02-03-2010 02:45 PM

LOL you're funny. I think I'm just going to settle for a fixture that can only be either all-on or all-off. Keep life simple. I'm never buying another 29 gallon aquarium...it's difficult finding things that are 30". Not impossible, just difficult.

LMychajluk 02-04-2010 09:43 AM

I think Coralife / AquaLight makes a few, but they're not cheap:
2xT5 :Coralife Double Aqualight 30" 65watt Power Compact Strip - ACL53103

There's also a fixture w/ lunar LED lights (3-switch) that's even more $$$:
Aquarium Lighting: Coralife Lunar Aqualights Compact Fluorescent Strip Lights

stephanieleah 02-04-2010 01:32 PM

Thanks! That one would be perfect except, yes, double what I paid for the one I ended up ordering. Man, I would have loved the dual on/off switches, though.

Mikaila31 02-05-2010 12:17 AM

It could still be a easy mod depending on the ballast. When your fixture arrives try running it with one bulb, some will do this some won't. If it does then it should be easy to add a switch between the ballast and one of the bulbs..... I have not done that before, so I'm not sure exactly how. 4 wires go to each bulb..... It most likely can be done though.

Those moonlights on that fixture will not do much at all IMO. Only 2 LEDs on a 30" tank will not provide good cover. My 24" tank uses 4 super bright LED's to get a good moonlighting. Besides if you can wire LED's or simple follow instructions, and wait for stuff to get to you from china you can make LED's better than that for about $5 if you want to be really cheap.

stephanieleah 02-05-2010 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikaila31 (Post 319570)
It could still be a easy mod depending on the ballast. When your fixture arrives try running it with one bulb, some will do this some won't. If it does then it should be easy to add a switch between the ballast and one of the bulbs..... I have not done that before, so I'm not sure exactly how. 4 wires go to each bulb..... It most likely can be done though.

Those moonlights on that fixture will not do much at all IMO. Only 2 LEDs on a 30" tank will not provide good cover. My 24" tank uses 4 super bright LED's to get a good moonlighting. Besides if you can wire LED's or simple follow instructions, and wait for stuff to get to you from china you can make LED's better than that for about $5 if you want to be really cheap.

What were you referring to about in the last sentence? And are you handy? Because I'm not so if you have to be handy, then forget it!

I don't care so much about the moon lighting, I just wanted a fixture that would house two bulbs. My current one is one of those expensive, quadruple compact fluourescents delivering about 3 watts per gallon (burned my plants alive!) but it's only about 20 inches over a 30 inch tank. So when I replaced the bulb with smaller wattage, half the tank looked unlit. I'll probably replace one of the bulbs for a T8 to get higher wattage. Thanks for the input, though.

Mikaila31 02-06-2010 12:20 AM

I can wire lights, but I don't really count that as handy..... I'm really just a broke college student...

LED moonlights. Require a cheap phone charger or similar charger, sometimes resistors, then take some phone or component wire and use the little wires to wire the LED's. Its like making Christmas lights. Simply hot glue them to the reflector once you are done. There is a little math involved and in reality every setup can differ depending on the charger and LED's being used. If they start smoking your doing it wrong.....