Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Coral and Reef Creatures (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/)
-   -   RED Algie? on my Flowerpot coral (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/red-algie-my-flowerpot-coral-36505/)

poohness 02-02-2010 06:45 PM

RED Algie? on my Flowerpot coral

I have a 110 gal salt water aquarium, MH lights, sump filtration, all water tests well within Perfect range. 20 gal water changes every 2 weeks, complete change every 6 mo. unless testing says different. Contents - live rock, snails, 3 hermit crabs, 2 cleaner shrimp, 2 clowns, 2 cardinal fish, 1 tang, 1 anemone, 1 tube anemome, 1 tube worm, 1 arrow crab and several Kenya trees. Oh YEAH! Bristle worms too! My red Flowerpot coral got over-heated last summer and is now a pretty PINK. Recently it seems to have (I think) a red algie slowly over-growing her. It's approx. 1/16 inch thick and looks like I should be able to just peel it off but I'm afraid of doing more damage to her. She is about 1&1/2 yrs. old which I have heard is pretty old for a flowerpot. I don't think a pic. would really show anymore than what I could tell you. ANY SUGGESTIONS???

onefish2fish 02-02-2010 11:54 PM

stop doing complete water changes. this is very stressful on your livestock.

exact test results would be nice, regardless if they're "perfect"

the algae is most likely coming from excess feeding or some other excess nutrient. try cutting back feedings and increasing the flow slightly in that area.

welcome to the forum.

poohness 02-03-2010 11:26 AM

Thanks! I'll try that. I'd really hate to lose her!

briang 02-05-2010 10:07 PM

It is definitely Red Slime which is a cyano bacteria. Feel free to take a turkey baster and GENTLY blow off the slime. Leaving it on your coral is a bad thing.

Kellsindell 02-06-2010 09:01 AM

Agreed. The more you stress them out the more suseptible they are to getting the cyano on them and taking them over. To add on to what Briang said, blow off the cyano, but make sure you scoop it up. If this coral is stressed, odds are others are as well. You don't want a tank full of the stuff. The reason you have it in the first place is because you parameters are less then "Perfect". This is often never a true statement. Phosphates and Nitrates are often the cause of cyano growing in the first place. Do a 10-20% water change only and make sure your source water is good before you do it. What type of water are you using and are you checking it for NO3 and PO4?

briang 02-06-2010 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kellsindell (Post 320279)
Agreed. The more you stress them out the more suseptible they are to getting the cyano on them and taking them over. To add on to what Briang said, blow off the cyano, but make sure you scoop it up. If this coral is stressed, odds are others are as well. You don't want a tank full of the stuff. The reason you have it in the first place is because you parameters are less then "Perfect". This is often never a true statement. Phosphates and Nitrates are often the cause of cyano growing in the first place. Do a 10-20% water change only and make sure your source water is good before you do it. What type of water are you using and are you checking it for NO3 and PO4?

Yea, good point on scooping it out. I forgot that part lol. If you use a baster, it is very easy to suck it up.

hayrobet 02-25-2010 09:39 AM

maybe your lights are older , if your flo are older 6 month please change your lights

coachkells 02-26-2010 10:23 PM

I use an old piece of air hose and syphon out the red algae.

DisneyCoralReef 02-28-2010 04:24 PM

Briang, absolutely stunning tank. I was just blown away by your avatar :shock: :-D