Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   beautiful giraffe like fish - anyone remind me what they are please? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/beautiful-giraffe-like-fish-anyone-remind-36495/)

lauramadonbikes 02-02-2010 05:07 PM

beautiful giraffe like fish - anyone remind me what they are please?

Hi, I bought 2 of these fish today, they are really nice looking fish - totally different to the other fish in my tank.

they are shaped like a gourami, but dont have any individual fins, the fin looks like it runs round the full body of the fish - which is an oval shape.

They are light brown in colour with giraffe like darker brown markings.

Any help you can give me would be fab, as I would like to find out more about them.

I am having trouble uploading an image as the format my phone uses is too big for here, and not valid - I dont have quicktime pro to save as, so trying to see what other programmes I can use, but does anyone know from the description what these fish are?

Many thanks

Laura

Austin 02-02-2010 05:26 PM

Spotted Leaf Fish?

http://www.freewebs.com/fruitbat/cacutirostre13.jpg

lauramadonbikes 02-02-2010 05:48 PM

wow that might well be them - my guys have a solid black circle spot just at their tail.... and their markings are less circular and more random hence why I described them as being like giraffes.... thanks for getting back to me so quickly :-)

But my fish also dont have defined fins and tail fin, its like the fin goes all the way around their body.....

or can the markings vary?

iamntbatman 02-02-2010 06:12 PM

Welcome to the forum!

It sounds like the leopard ctenopoma to me, as well. I'm not aware of any fish that have a fin running all the way around their bodies (maybe some eels?) so I think that maybe you're just not seeing the gap between the dorsal/anal fins and tail as clearly as it is in that picture. Their spot patterns can vary from fish to fish though.

If this is the fish you have, they grow to about six inches in size, are fairly shy so shouldn't be housed with rowdy cichlids, and are voracious predators that will eat any fish small enough to fit in their very large mouths.

But, for a positive ID, you'd have to upload a picture of the fish.

stephanieleah 02-02-2010 08:50 PM

jeaninel has that fish for her avatar, i'd pm her.

oh nevermind i see someone already id'd jeanine's avatar (spotted leaf)

Freddy 02-02-2010 08:59 PM

Leopard Ctempona. I was looking into getting some for my new tank. Great fish to have!

Oh wait never mind, I just saw the picture.

lauramadonbikes 02-04-2010 05:50 PM

finally got a picture

1 Attachment(s)
apologies for the poor quality image but here they are...... and on further inspection they do have seperate fins, its just that they are transparent around the edges and difficult to see

iamntbatman 02-04-2010 06:12 PM

So it is a leopard ctenopoma, then. What size tank do you have them housed in, and what are their tankmates?

lauramadonbikes 02-04-2010 06:52 PM

hi they are in a 4ft x 12" x 18" tank.

tank mates - here we go....

2 rather large plecs... (need to go but havent figured out how to trap them)
6 clown loaches
2 goldfish (my 2 year old's fish)
1 male fighter, 2 females
1 young pair of Kribs - but they live at the opposite side of the tank where these guys are hanging out female hasnt matured/coloured up yet
3 emperor tetra's
10 head and tail light tetras
1 cardinal tetra (did have 40 but over time just the one wee guy left)
2 krib shaped things which I just got but they have metallic blue shiney markings - cant recall their names at the mo.....
4 wee cory dora's
6 rummy nose tetra's
and
a few more wee chaps like black widow tetra's but they are red in colour

Sorry I forgot the names of a couple its late and I had a monsterous day at work lol

iamntbatman 02-05-2010 02:52 AM

Sounds like maybe a 45 gallon long. The new fish should be alright in a tank of that size. Beware that they will most likely eat your smaller fish (the cardinal and other small tetras, possibly the bettas).

For catching the plecos, you should use a plastic container like a bucket of some kind and herd them in there with a net. You shouldn't catch them with a net due to the possibility of their fins getting caught in them.

Unrelated I realize, but you shouldn't be housing goldfish in this tank. For one thing they get very large and have a heavy bioload, but even more importantly they're coldwater fish that don't do well at these high tropical temperatures. Two fancy goldfish would need something like this 45g long all to themselves as adults. The clown loaches are tropical fish so they're fine at tropical temperatures but they also grow very large (over a foot and up to 18") so should be in a much larger tank (think 150g or more).

Any pictures of the unknown krib-like fish so that maybe we can ID them?