Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Opinion on a Guppy Tank and a Betta Tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/opinion-guppy-tank-betta-tank-3648/)

Andyandsue 02-25-2007 08:21 PM

Opinion on a Guppy Tank and a Betta Tank
 
Ok, so silly as it sounds I've fallen in love with fancy guppies! I never stop watching their gorgeous colors and flowing tails when I'm at PetSmart.

I'm looking for some opinions. A friend of mine is giving me a 1 gallon tank with a filter. I've never used such a small tank, but was thinking of putting my son's betta (this tank has a light-up volcano, so he really wants it) in it.

1) Do you think a one gallon is ok for a Betta? Not my first choice, but our betta doesn't really move around the tank he's in now. I'm just not sure.

2) If I give the Betta the 1 gallon, I want to set up a guppy tank with my 3 gallon. How many guppies can happily live in a 5 gallon? Due to their constant breed, I thought more females than males. If I don't plan on breeding them can I just allow them to consume the babies? :P (yuck)

3) I always- ALWAYS buy my fish at my LFS, however; they do not carry guppies. What do you think my luck will be obtaining healthy fish from PetSmart or Petco?

As always, thank you for your opinions!

Rue 02-25-2007 08:26 PM

...well, I'd prefer not to do it, but a betta can live in a 1 gallon tank...but that's pretty small for him...I like to see single males kept in 5 g planted tanks...

...and a 3 gallon for guppies? Kinda small for anything but rearing fry...but again, you can try...I wouldn't put more than 4 guppies in it...1 male, 3 females...

...btw...I've always liked guppies...beautiful little fish...

Lupin 02-25-2007 08:28 PM

Re: Opinion on a Guppy Tank and a Betta Tank
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andyandsue
1) Do you think a one gallon is ok for a Betta? Not my first choice, but our betta doesn't really move around the tank he's in now. I'm just not sure.

Yes.:)
Quote:

2) If I give the Betta the 1 gallon, I want to set up a guppy tank with my 3 gallon. How many guppies can happily live in a 5 gallon? Due to their constant breed, I thought more females than males. If I don't plan on breeding them can I just allow them to consume the babies? :P (yuck)
A trio of male guppies will do it.:) I'd rather you shouldn't breed guppies in a 5 gallons tank. Heavens knows the addition of fry will certainly make your tank overcrowded.
Quote:

3) I always- ALWAYS buy my fish at my LFS, however; they do not carry guppies. What do you think my luck will be obtaining healthy fish from PetSmart or Petco?
I can not speak for this but from what I heard, PetSmart would be a better choice. My advice is to simply watch how their guppies behave. Check their appearance, movement, etc. You'll need to make sure they are not lethargic or anything that makes them look ill. Tell the employee to give them food and watch carefully. The ones who are most eager to eat are your best choice.

Andyandsue 02-25-2007 08:56 PM

Re: Opinion on a Guppy Tank and a Betta Tank
 
[quote="Andyandsue"]2) If I give the Betta the 1 gallon, I want to set up a guppy tank with my 3 gallon. How many guppies can happily live in a 5 gallon? Due to their constant breeding, I thought more females than males. If I don't plan on breeding them can I just allow them to consume the babies? :P (yuck) [quote]

I wanted to say Since I don't plan on breeding them can I just allow them to consume offspring?

I have NO plans on breeding guppies in a 3 gallon! :)

musho3210 02-25-2007 08:57 PM

just have only males and keep some melafix on hand, no need to worry about fry, just the nipping, thats all

Holly 03-02-2007 10:40 PM

I see your from NJ like me. Check to see if you have a Pets Plus around you. I have one that I got to, in Delran, that the mgr knows his stuff and always have done really well with thier fish. I just picked up a few fancy guppies there last week. They're so pretty that I want more now!

Andyandsue 03-02-2007 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holly
I see your from NJ like me. Check to see if you have a Pets Plus around you. I have one that I got to, in Delran, that the mgr knows his stuff and always have done really well with thier fish. I just picked up a few fancy guppies there last week. They're so pretty that I want more now!

Nope, no Pets Plus near me. I just checked the website. I'm in Northern NJ, about 20 miles outside of NYC.

Holly 03-02-2007 11:12 PM

Might be a hike for you but Tropiquarium in Ocean Twonship, around pkwy exit 100, always had great fish and the people who worked there were wonderful. I'm actaully going to take the hour drive this weekend to check it out since I haven't been there in awhile.

Andyandsue 03-02-2007 11:45 PM

I'm exit 140-142 so that is too far away for me. I have a great LFS that I go to in East Hanover, it take me about 15 minutes to get there. They are a bunch of guys who are really into their fish, and they play great music too. :)

If you are ever up my way, don't ever go to Ely's in Florham Park, what a mess that place is!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2