Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Worms sticking out?? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/worms-sticking-out-36444/)

rsheets 02-02-2010 12:44 AM

Worms sticking out??

One male guppy has had a big belly for a while but tonight I see what looks like worms coming out of his rear. He is acting fine but, I'm sure this can't be good. Does anyone know how to treat something like this? I remember a long time ago, I had a tank with fish with this problem, and the ones that had it died.
I have tried to search the past posts but I couldn't come up with anything. I'm not too successful with searching here on this site.

jeaninel 02-02-2010 03:27 AM

Are they kind of reddish in color? Might be Camalanus worms. Try googling it and see if that's what they look like.

rsheets 02-02-2010 10:44 AM

Yea, that's what it looks like. I think that's what it is. I'm going to try and find some levamisole. I'm just not sure of the dosing. Does anyone know?

Mikaila31 02-02-2010 01:21 PM

I can help you with the lemaisole, I use it on almost all my new fish in quarantine. Depending where you live Fleet Farm sells the powder. Or you can order a bird dewormer called Harka Verm which will also work, I can give you doseing directions later when I'm not on a phone. I think it might of been 1.25ml to 10gal, but I not sure on that.

rsheets 02-02-2010 05:31 PM

Thanks. We don't have one of those store but we do have some others that may have it. I see in some reaserch that it is suggested to dose at 2mg/L. I will appreciate the help.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikaila31 (Post 317922)
I can help you with the lemaisole, I use it on almost all my new fish in quarantine. Depending where you live Fleet Farm sells the powder. Or you can order a bird dewormer called Harka Verm which will also work, I can give you doseing directions later when I'm not on a phone. I think it might of been 1.25ml to 10gal, but I not sure on that.

Mikaila31 02-02-2010 09:22 PM

well if you find the powder form that I use it will be a very small amount 18grams for about $16, this will be much more than you will ever need until it expires.

Here is a link. For powder it is about 0.1gram for 10gal. I can understand the difficulties of using the powder for most, it is a very small amount you need. I have a digital scale for my EI ferts, so dosing this way is not a problem for me.

Following the doseage on the site above, I determined to be 1.25ml per 10gal for the Harka Verm. Since it contains 80mg/ml of the med. This would be the same as dosing with the powder.

Be aware the this is a very fast working med. It can kill fish that are heavily infected. My thinking is this. The worms dig into the intestinal wall, lots of worms can do lots of damage. Sudden removal will leave lots of open wounds. Which can be fatal to a fish that is already weakened. Also the med either works or doesn't, if you half dose it will have no effect at all.

rsheets 02-03-2010 12:05 AM

OK thanks. I will try and find this somewhere tomorrow. What happens if I don't get all the worms out of the tank and they come become unparalized? I guess they infect the fish again?

Lupin 02-03-2010 07:02 AM

Levamisole hydrochloride should kill the nematodes. Vacuum your substrate when you do your water changes while your tank is undergoing treatment to eliminate possible breeding grounds. Do not leave organic matter accumulating around your tank.

Your other choice in the absence of levamisole is fenbendazole or flubendazole. Jungle Antiparasite foods also help as it contains levamisole aside from metro and prazi.

rsheets 02-03-2010 11:08 AM

OK good I was thinking it would only paralyze them. The feed store in town has fenbendazole too so that's a good alternative. Thanks for all the help.

rsheets 02-03-2010 06:57 PM

OK, I looked and called everywhere and no one even heard of levamisole. So, I had to get the fenbendazole. My problem now is what is the dosing requirements? I bought the liquid version instead of the paste, because I figured it was going to work better in the tank. It says it is a 10% solution (100mg/mL) My question is how much do I need for 160 gal of water?
I hope someone knows.:/