Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Driftwood (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/driftwood-36442/)

Kelso 02-02-2010 12:06 AM

Driftwood

driftwood, Live Plants, Ornaments. Great deals on eBay!

If you start looking at the driftwood further down the page you can see some awesome deals. Now here's my question: Some of these pieces are incredible looking, but I have no clue where they came from. Even if they do list the location of where the wood came from, would I be taking a big risk? It's like pollutants could still be on it, right? Gah...idk what to do. Is there a way to get rid of it? Should I just stick to the over priced pet stores?

Angel079 02-02-2010 08:35 AM

Naw...just take it and boil it :-) If you're real worried boil it like 3-4 times (which I'd do just for the tannis) and you're set.

LisaC144 02-02-2010 09:29 AM

Hmmm.....ok I've never worked with real DW. Boiling it 3-4 times I can handle. I've read that DW can alter your Ph. Does boiling it take care of that? Also, if I boil for 3-4 times, will that alleviate it coloring my water?

KELSO: Thanks for the link!

Kelso 02-02-2010 10:57 AM

I want the tannic acid ;) I like the tea color it creates, if a boil is all I need, sweet.

LisaC144 02-02-2010 11:07 AM

I don't want the tea color in this specific tank. I'm wondering what I can do so it doesn't happen...

Kelso 02-02-2010 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaC144 (Post 317848)
I don't want the tea color in this specific tank. I'm wondering what I can do so it doesn't happen...

Well just out of curiosity, what kind of tank is it? Just a general community? Supposedly boiling it and letting it soak for a few weeks will get rid of all the tannic acid. I'm recreating an amazon theme, so I prefer the natural look it gives my tank, as opposed to crystal clear water.

Byron 02-02-2010 12:21 PM

A few comments on wood in response to several previous posts in this thread.

There are several different types of wood available as aquarium bogwood. Some are bad for tannins and some are not. Generally speaking, the lighter woods (like mopani I think it's called) will leech tannins for quite some time. The darker wood (ironwood, mangrove root) lose their tannins fairly quickly, sometimes just a boil or soaking for a couple weeks. I always use the dark woods because (a) the tannins are gone fast, (2) they are more natural with plants in my view, (3) they tend to last underwater--some woods rot sooner than others and this can be troublesome. In my experience the darker woods stay firm for years. [I didn't check the link to ebay, so don't know what was being offered.]

Second, I always now buy wood that is in a tank of water, usually this is with fish. I can tell from the tank that the wood has leeched most of its tannins. All the wood you see in my current setups came this way, and I have never once had coloured water in the aquaria from it. If it comes from a tank with fish, soaking it in a pail of plain tapwater for a week will handle any parasites like ich.

Tannins will not hurt fish or plants. Some like the yellowish-brown colouration it gives to the tank, others don't. But there is no harm from it. It will lower the pH by acidifying the water, but even with lots of wood this is minimal, perhaps .2 at most, so wood is not a practical means of lowering pH nor will it cause problems by doing so.

Byron.

Angel079 02-02-2010 01:25 PM

I have DW in ALL my set ups; mainly in the frogs & killi set up's it actually IMO is best for the inhabits if the water is indeed stained rather then crystal clear, cause to them its much more natural. And like for the Killi's it makes their colorations even more vivid.
If you're worried bout bacteria but not your water; boiling it once will do the trick; like in Kelso's case.
Now Like Lisa: I have had DW piece for a long time now, they been initially boiled a few times in in tank water since then and the still stain the water which I pers think is pretty neat; the only think you can do to avoid this in your tank is boil it few times and then soak it over & over & over again with fresh water till the day it doesn't come up with brownish water any more and that now can take anywhere from a few soakings to a few month of soaking dep on the wood you'll find.

LisaC144 02-02-2010 01:32 PM

Great, thank you very much!!

Mean Harri 02-02-2010 08:18 PM

I changed the soaking water for my chunk of dw today. It's been one day in soaking and I actually think the colored water was awesome looking. I'm going to let it soak until I set up the tank and that's it. That most likely will be Feb 13th. Or maybe the 14th as an excuse to blow off Valentines Day.