Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
-   -   starting a saltwater aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/starting-saltwater-aquarium-36413/)

molliefan09 02-01-2010 07:19 PM

starting a saltwater aquarium

not sure if we are going to use the 55 or 150 gallon...a guy we know what breaking down his tank and was just going to toss the fish in the sea...well, i cant see any animal disgarded like they are currently in their old home...a 5 gal bare bottom with some fake rock and coral....my question is what do i need to do?!?! sand? rock? filtration? skimmer? the fish i have are a i think maroon clown, some kind of goby, a peppermint shrimp, and another fish i have not been able to id and will post pics later when i get them....

fishesfriend 02-01-2010 07:30 PM

I would seperate the fish.

Pasfur 02-01-2010 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molliefan09 (Post 317361)
not sure if we are going to use the 55 or 150 gallon...a guy we know what breaking down his tank and was just going to toss the fish in the sea...well, i cant see any animal disgarded like they are currently in their old home...a 5 gal bare bottom with some fake rock and coral....my question is what do i need to do?!?! sand? rock? filtration? skimmer? the fish i have are a i think maroon clown, some kind of goby, a peppermint shrimp, and another fish i have not been able to id and will post pics later when i get them....

I'm not even sure what this says. Are the fish in a 5 gallon tank right now? When you ask what to do, what to do with what? The fish? What equipment to buy? For which tank, the Q or the display? And what size display?

Come on Molliefan, take the time to post a legitimate thread. If nothing else, just out of respect for your fellow members.

molliefan09 02-01-2010 09:40 PM

sorry for the half hearted thread...i can be a bit of a drama queen sometimes...but let me do some searching and i will post again when i have some more logical questions. the biggest problem i have is the plumbing....none of the tanks i have are drilled. we are going to be setting up ou 150 gallon for the SW tank

Pasfur 02-01-2010 09:51 PM

If you want to use the 150 as a saltwater and it is not drilled, then you will need to add an overflow for the sump.

The CPR overflows are the best on the market and most reliable. Check it out:
CPR CS102 Siphon Overflow

You will want to use the air pump to ensure the siphon never breaks:
Tom Aquarium Products Aqua Lifter Water & Air Pump

I use the ASM skimmer in my 180, and I think you will find it easy to use:
In-Sump Protein Skimmer - G2 - 200 Gallon - 21 1/4 in. high | Venturi Models | Protein Skimmers | Aquarium - ThatPetPlace.com

You will want a Mag Drive for the return pump:
Mag Drive 1200 Water Pump with 10 ft. Cord | Water Pumps | Water Pumps & Power Heads | Aquarium - ThatPetPlace.com

That is your guts and glory. I'd probably order a huge supply of dry rock from MarcoRocks.
75 Pounds Key Largo Rock, <br>160 Pounds Bahamas Aragonite Sand<BR>pay $35 shipping only - KL75-160
and
50 Pound box Key Largo Rock, <br>Now Pre Cycled - DS-50
You can then add about 25 pounds of cured live rock and have a great display.

This will cost a pretty penny, but you will save a good $1000 ordering online from the links above, and you will have a very reliable system.

Fun!!!

molliefan09 02-01-2010 10:16 PM

i knew i could count on you pasfur!! thank you, i will be sure to check out all the links you posted, and i WILL be back with more questions i am sure....the original thread was my freak out session and i will be sure to take my time and post logical/understandable questions....and once i get all my bearing i will start a build thread including pics

molliefan09 02-01-2010 10:48 PM

8 Attachment(s)
ok....i have all the stuff you posted...it is jsut strewn in my garage right now in all different areas...it is all off of a 160 gallon SW tank. here are some pics of what we already have....

Pasfur 02-01-2010 11:35 PM

Everything looks great, other than the skimmer. You won't be at all satisfied with that skimmer on a 150. I would say 55 gallons max on that unit.

molliefan09 02-02-2010 12:30 AM

ok, i will look for a larger skimmer...is that brand ok?

molliefan09 02-02-2010 10:44 AM

and....the part 1 and 2 calcium alkalinity buffers a bought....the guiy at the LFS said to add it DAILY, either in the AM before lights go on or at night when the lights go off....