Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Bubbles Bubbles and more Bubbles !!!

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  LMychajluk 
#1 ·
I am not so sure this has been touched on in the recent past or not....
but here it goes....
does anyone know how much Bubbles is to much?
for an example when hooking up a air pump to a under gravel wand
how many Bubbles can be to much....
I have noticed in my new 75 gallon that it kinda looks cloudy...
so I leaned in a little closer to only examine that there are MANY
tiny Bubbles... so I am thinking maybe there are to many Bubbles in
this tank?
how will this affect Fish if at all?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
How big is your filter? I notice when my water level gets low it makes thos tiny bubbles. Or when i had my hobs Rated for 90 gallon tank times 2 on my 75 that it would do that to. I just took them off and switched for 60 and 40 gallon filters.
Also itdepends on how many fish are going to be in the tank.

#3 ·
Mollies

thanks for the reply.... lets start off my saying that I know
I have this tank OVER FILTERED.... its a 75 gallon and the
Marineland Magnum Pro has a busted O/Ring on the inlet side
thats why there are alot of Bubbles.. they are sending me
a couple new ones.. ( they are on the way ) but in the mean
time I wanted to address the issue of how many Bubbles are to
much?
My water leve is ok I understand what you mean when your
water level drops and then it has more Bubbles than normal...
this is not the case.
On the other side I have a Marineland 350 working with
established Bio Wheels.. from my other 75 gallon to help
the Cycle process.....
So back to the ISSUE at hand.... BUBBLES....
how many are to many....
all these small Bubbles floating around in the tank will
that hurt the fish or not?
( YES I KNOW THERE ARE NO FISH IN THE TANK ) ( YET )
lol.
but I was going to start off sometime this evening with some fish
until I noticed how many Bubbles I actually have in the tank..

#4 ·
That's always so hard to tell on pictures rather then live...and its really not quit like you can count them neither lol

Do you have plants in there thou...sorta looks like that on the left?

Like my sponge produces bubbles obviously it s steady 'silver' stream but its not like bubbling up the surface to where my shrimp get bubbled out. When in doubt dial down some. What wave maker do you have hooked up to it (wattage) on this 75g?

#5 ·
I have no WAVE maker... lol
The Magnum has an O ring that is busted so its
throwing out alot of small fine bubbles....
so till I get the new ones in the mail
I have to let it run this way....
so while looking at the tank from a distance
it appears that its cloudy but it isnt it just
has a lot of small Bubbles.. ( From the Marineland canister filter )
so I am curious to know when is to much on the Bubbles...

#6 ·
That makes sense lol....Just a LOT oxygen in there right now that's why its looking cloudy form a distance but not up close.
But like you said wait till ya get the new filter and done with :)

#8 ·
I don't think the bubbles are going to cause any harm to your fish. It's probably best to replace that o-ring as soon as the new one arrives though, as the hole/tear is bound to get bigger which will start affecting the performance of the filter (with a big enough hole it will stop working altogether).

#9 ·
If you feel like the current is too strong you can get check valves to release some of the air flow to your bubble bar/ air stones. I had the same problem in my tank and I went and bought a valve and now the current isn't as strong and the water is clearer because there aren't as many bubbles in there.

#10 ·
Will these bubbles eventually go away once the water is 'conditioned'?

I have a new 44g tank I set up last weekend w/ a aerator and a Fluval 305 w/ the output on the opposite side of the tank from the aerator. I added some API Tap Water Conditioner day 1 and some SeaChem Flourish day 2 for some plants that I put in there. The bubbles from the aerator, instead of popping when they reach the surface, just get blown around once they circulate over to the filter output, clouding the water much like in the OP's pic from the first post. If I turn off the aerator, it clears up after a bit, but I really don't want to do that. I don't mind turning the aerator down, but I just feel that the bubbles should pop when they reach the surface.

#11 ·
If you have plants in the tank, you should have as little water flow from the filter as you can, just what the fish require. Some fish need current, so that is fine if your fish do; but many "forest fish" do not and the flow will keep them unsettled as well as be detrimental to the plants. Have a read of the sticky at the top of the Aquarium Plant section entitled "A Basic Approach to the Natural Planted Aquarium" Part Four deals with filtration and explains why this is detrimental. Here's a direct link: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/...approach-natural-planted-aquarium-part-34858/ This will also dealwith the bubbles problem.

I'd be happy to answer any questions from that. Byron.

#13 ·
Again, thanks, Byron. I keep reading and re-reading the stickies around here, and sooner or later some of it will sink in.

I understand the reasoning re: the aerator and minimizing filter flow. I turned down the filter as much as recommended by the manufacturer (~50% of max), and I don't think there's that much of a current. I also have the aerator turned down, but it's part of a volcano ornament that I really like, so I really want to keep it on for effect (actually, I've been thinking of putting it on a timer to 'erupt' for 15min/hr, but am wondering if the constant on/off would stress the fish). As much as I want to have live plants, they're kind of tertiary in my tank, after the fish and the 'look' (if I have to, I'll go to plastic or silk plants). My real concern was whether there was something in the chemistry of the water that was keeping the bubbles from popping at the surface, and, if so, whether it was something that I could or should address.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.