Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   Fancy goldfish revisited (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/fancy-goldfish-revisited-363913/)

willertac 03-11-2014 09:39 AM

Fancy goldfish revisited
 
I have heard many conflicting things about raising a fancy goldfish. Some say only one in a 29g, no plants, no tank mates. Others say the opposite.

I have an empty 29g--and a currently unused Aqueon Quiet Flow 55/75--in which I will have 2 ryukins (as of now, might decide different) and some various decorations, making perhaps a zen-like tank.

Can I add any fish (or snails) to aid in the removal of excess food and to help keep the tank clean? I know goldfish are messy. I was going to add artificial mossballs that would aid in the removal of nitrites and the like.

Can I add a plant, something that would flow in the tank's "breeze"? I have heard they eat plants and take overgrowth as treats.

Can I mix fancy species (example: moor and ryukin)?

I have had goldfish, but no one has ever told me anything about tank sizes until I looked around online last year.

Good idea?

Flint 03-11-2014 10:10 AM

Quote:

I have an empty 29g--and a currently unused Aqueon Quiet Flow 55/75--in which I will have 2 ryukins (as of now, might decide different) and some various decorations, making perhaps a zen-like tank.
I think you're going to want a bigger filter. You need to be aiming for 8-10 times your volume an hour in filtration.

Quote:

Can I add any fish (or snails) to aid in the removal of excess food and to help keep the tank clean? I know goldfish are messy. I was going to add artificial mossballs that would aid in the removal of nitrites and the like.
The snails will just produce more ammonia, thus defeating the purpose of having them to clean the tank. Fish would be the same way, especially having the temperature restrictions you'd have because goldfish are coldwater fish.

Quote:

Can I add a plant, something that would flow in the tank's "breeze"? I have heard they eat plants and take overgrowth as treats.
You can add plants. Java Fern especially tends to hold up well to goldfish. From what I've found, goldfish only eat plants if there aren't enough greens in their diet.

Quote:

Can I mix fancy species (example: moor and ryukin)?
You can mix species to an extent, but I wouldn't do a telescope and a ryukin. When mixing fancys, it's important to keep their "disabilities" similar. For your example, a telescope and a ryukin wouldn't be suggested because of the fact that the telescope will have a harder time seeing food than the ryukin and thus eat less. I hope that makes sense.

willertac 03-11-2014 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 4091009)
I think you're going to want a bigger filter. You need to be aiming for 8-10 times your volume an hour in filtration.


The snails will just produce more ammonia, thus defeating the purpose of having them to clean the tank. Fish would be the same way, especially having the temperature restrictions you'd have because goldfish are coldwater fish.


You can add plants. Java Fern especially tends to hold up well to goldfish. From what I've found, goldfish only eat plants if there aren't enough greens in their diet.


You can mix species to an extent, but I wouldn't do a telescope and a ryukin. When mixing fancys, it's important to keep their "disabilities" similar. For your example, a telescope and a ryukin wouldn't be suggested because of the fact that the telescope will have a harder time seeing food than the ryukin and thus eat less. I hope that makes sense.

Understood. Very helpful, thank you!
Posted via Mobile Device

willertac 03-12-2014 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 4091009)
I think you're going to want a bigger filter. You need to be aiming for 8-10 times your volume an hour in filtration.


The snails will just produce more ammonia, thus defeating the purpose of having them to clean the tank. Fish would be the same way, especially having the temperature restrictions you'd have because goldfish are coldwater fish.


You can add plants. Java Fern especially tends to hold up well to goldfish. From what I've found, goldfish only eat plants if there aren't enough greens in their diet.


You can mix species to an extent, but I wouldn't do a telescope and a ryukin. When mixing fancys, it's important to keep their "disabilities" similar. For your example, a telescope and a ryukin wouldn't be suggested because of the fact that the telescope will have a harder time seeing food than the ryukin and thus eat less. I hope that makes sense.


Ryukin and Fantail?

What is an Oranda considered, it's not really said anywhere I looked.

Flint 03-13-2014 07:02 AM

Ryukin and fantail would be fine, as would those and orandas. Just try to avoid putting Pearlscales, Telescopes, bubble eyes and ranchu with the slimmer, faster ryukin, orandas, fantails. You could probably get away with slimmer bodied and telescopes if you wanted you'd just have to make sure they're both eating enough.
Posted via Mobile Device

FishyFishy89 03-14-2014 02:34 AM

I think you'll be fine with your filter. The company rates that filter for a 90 gallon aquarium.
KokosGoldfish.com Goldfish Care is very informative.
I stalked the website and their forums before I finalized the plans for my 75 gallon. I ended up moving away from goldfish because, at the time, had min filtration for "cleaner" fish.

Poleren 03-18-2014 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willertac (Post 4090937)
I have heard many conflicting things about raising a fancy goldfish. Some say only one in a 29g, no plants, no tank mates. Others say the opposite.

I have an empty 29g--and a currently unused Aqueon Quiet Flow 55/75--in which I will have 2 ryukins (as of now, might decide different) and some various decorations, making perhaps a zen-like tank.

Can I add any fish (or snails) to aid in the removal of excess food and to help keep the tank clean? I know goldfish are messy. I was going to add artificial mossballs that would aid in the removal of nitrites and the like.

Can I add a plant, something that would flow in the tank's "breeze"? I have heard they eat plants and take overgrowth as treats.

Can I mix fancy species (example: moor and ryukin)?

I have had goldfish, but no one has ever told me anything about tank sizes until I looked around online last year.

Good idea?

You have the Quiet Flow 55/75? I have one, and it is 400 GPH (For my 56 gallon). It may be too strong.

willertac 03-18-2014 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poleren (Post 4137146)
You have the Quiet Flow 55/75? I have one, and it is 400 GPH (For my 56 gallon). It may be too strong.

The next one down is 250 GPH. I guess I could use that filter for another tank.
Posted via Mobile Device

FishyFishy89 03-18-2014 11:54 PM

I haven't seen many goldfish have issues with filter flows. If they do, you can baffle the filter. That isn't difficult to do. I'd rather have the filtration than go the next lower one for less flow.

sandybottom 03-19-2014 01:32 AM

ryukins get huge.there is no way that even one can stay in a 29 gallon permanently. if you do get goldfish,understand that the 29 is a temporary tank and that you will have to upgrade. i also would not keep ryukins with telescopes,moors,celestials and bubble eyes.there have been quite a few accounts of them developing a taste for eyes.
they are also one of the more aggressive goldfish.

i heard a rumor that petco is going to have their $1/gallon sale again soon.i know they have the sale 3-4 times yearly.

adding more fish or snails to a tank this size is counterproductive.if you lack the correct filtration,you will need to do more water changes.if you do not have the time or desire to do the water changes/vacs,i recommend against getting goldfish.i would also keep it a bare bottom tank until you upgrade and get a better filter and larger tank.this will help to keep your water parameters in check. then use a little sand and decorate.for now i would give them as much swimming space as possible.

i suggest never using gravel with goldfish.it has too many places for detritus to build up,leading to poor water quality and illness.

they do require a lot of care and upkeep,making them one of the harder fish to keep successfully.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2