Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
-   -   Adding 100% oxygen to tank? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/adding-100-oxygen-tank-36389/)

knotical 02-01-2010 08:18 AM

Adding 100% oxygen to tank?

Hope this isn't a stupid question but has anyone ever used an oxygen bottle to pump pure oxygen into a tank? As in a daily routine. A small 12 cubic bottle can't be that expensive and a daily shot of 100% oxygen would seem to be a good idea. I have a 29 bio cube and have concerns about the closed top and the off gassing. Bruce

Angel079 02-01-2010 09:31 AM

Why don't you just simply add live plants? That'll be plenty sufficient oxygen for the fish and on top its gonna look nice & natural.

Pasfur 02-01-2010 10:45 AM

Was this post intended to be in the saltwater section? It sounds like a freshwater topic.

knotical 02-01-2010 11:17 AM

It was intended for the saltwater section. Just curious if there would be any down side to the process. I have read a number of articles regarding the oxygenation of the water and how a covered tank is prone to problems. Bruce

Angel079 02-01-2010 11:29 AM

I'm sorry :oops: then just scrap my answer there that makes no sense then sorry :lol:

dan3321 02-01-2010 01:19 PM

As far as I know you can't inject oxygen directly into water. When you use an air stone it's the agitation at the surface that causes the exchange of gases and is the same as any other form of agitation.

Pasfur 02-01-2010 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knotical (Post 317126)
It was intended for the saltwater section. Just curious if there would be any down side to the process. I have read a number of articles regarding the oxygenation of the water and how a covered tank is prone to problems. Bruce

Honestly, I am a reading nut case and never stop reading everything I can get my hands on about this hobby. I have never heard of oxygen being directly added to the water. I have always run covered tanks, and the key is good water movement.

If you have a sump, there is a ton of gas exchange taking place. If you don't have a sump, a hang on skimmer goes a long way to providing an oxygen enriched environment, and a power head directed at the water surface will break up any oils. Ideally a surface skimmer would be used in conjunction with the hang on skimmer to eliminate these oils.

onefish2fish 02-02-2010 02:18 AM

a stupid question is one not asked.

just aim one of your powerheads slightly up so the surface of the water has some kind of movement however it doesnt have to be splashing everywhere, infact splashing anywhere. the more the water moves around on the surface the better gas exchange. the more water surface exposed the better gas exchange occurs, but at the same time more evaporation.
shooting oxygen into the water, will just bubble to the surface exactly like dan3321 states. the bubbles will disrupt the surface, helping the gas exchange, which is the same result as using a powerhead to disrupt the surface, without the cost. even if you used a bubble diffuser of some sort i dont think it would be anymore effective then good water circulation and a proper stocking attitude.
welcome to the forum.

knotical 02-02-2010 07:01 AM

[quote=Pasfur;317353]Honestly, I am a reading nut case and never stop reading everything I can get my hands on about this hobby.

knotical 02-02-2010 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onefish2fish (Post 317708)
a stupid question is one not asked.

just aim one of your powerheads slightly up so the surface of the water has some kind of movement however it doesnt have to be splashing everywhere, infact splashing anywhere. the more the water moves around on the surface the better gas exchange. the more water surface exposed the better gas exchange occurs, but at the same time more evaporation.
shooting oxygen into the water, will just bubble to the surface exactly like dan3321 states. the bubbles will disrupt the surface, helping the gas exchange, which is the same result as using a powerhead to disrupt the surface, without the cost. even if you used a bubble diffuser of some sort i dont think it would be anymore effective then good water circulation and a proper stocking attitude.
welcome to the forum.

That is how my tank is set up and thank you. If I put an air stone in the tank would it be more effective in the tank or in the sump next to my pump? I would prefer to not have any hoakey bubbles coming up out of my display. Thanks for all the input. Bruce