Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Driftwood Dilemma (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/driftwood-dilemma-363105/)

jm4685 03-09-2014 06:17 PM

Driftwood Dilemma

We had to have our home tented for termites. We set up a tank outside and moved the fish. The other 2 tanks were emptied -- We left a piece of driftwood in an empty tank. My question: is it safe to use this driftwood, or should we replace it.TIA

Esther1980 03-09-2014 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jm4685 (Post 4079577)
We had to have our home tented for termites. We set up a tank outside and moved the fish. The other 2 tanks were emptied -- We left a piece of driftwood in an empty tank. My question: is it safe to use this driftwood, or should we replace it.TIA

I would replace it for extra safety because bad chemicals could get in, but if you don't want to replace it then I would clean it really really good.

Flint 03-09-2014 06:52 PM

I'd boil it well and throw it in a tank with some feeders just to make sure.

Chesh 03-10-2014 06:30 AM

Welcome to the forum, JM!
Yikes, good question!
If it were it me, I'd just get rid of it. Those chemicals are strong, and wood is porous. . . I wouldn't want to risk any little lives on a maybe!

Good luck with everything - and welcome to TFK!

jpepe1 03-10-2014 10:25 AM

Just for the piece of mind I'd get rid of it

sandybottom 03-10-2014 11:18 AM

+1.i would not take the chance.

willow 03-11-2014 11:02 AM

i'm just thinking here….dangerous i know
what would happen if you left it out side to the elements of nature ?
has anyone looked up the contents of the chemicals to see how
damaging they are ?

hello and welcome jm4685 :-D

avraptorhal 03-11-2014 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jm4685 (Post 4079577)

One way of looking at this question is from an economic POV. Would reusing the driftwood save you enough money to pay for the fish that may die? If that is positive then your answer is simple.

I'm not advocating any way to go just asking a question from another POV.

atwilson1972 03-14-2014 05:05 AM

was this other tank covered to protect it at all? if so, it adds to the better chance of cleaning it.
i would lean toward replacing it, but it is also a judgement call on where the tank was, if it was covered, and the impact of chemicals in that spot.
but, as i said. i think its safer to replace that.

willow 03-14-2014 12:24 PM

i'd be a bit cheesed off if it were a very large piece,
is it rude to ask how much the wood cost you ?:oops: