Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Small tank for our chem lab? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/small-tank-our-chem-lab-36301/)

Robanada 01-30-2010 08:02 PM

Small tank for our chem lab?

Hey guys, in addition to school, i work in a chemical lab. I was talking to my supervisor about fish, and he gave me a desiccator for a "lab fish."
Anyway, it holds about 1 gallon, so I was hoping some of you more experienced folk could make some suggestions as to what type of fish I could put in it? I have to take care of it, so hopefully something that's not too messy, and doesn't require a lot of maintenance!
Also, desiccators are interestingly shaped (for a tank), maybe you could give me some ideas- the holes in the platform are just begging to be used for something creative! (plants?)
Also, would silica gel be a poor substrate?

For those of you that don't know, this is what it looks like, although our platform is glass (so it's clear):

http://images.asia.ru/img/alibaba/ph...Desiccator.jpg

It's funny how they're supposed to keep stuff dry, and I'm going to fill it with water. xD

Angel079 01-30-2010 08:32 PM

I suggest you put substrate in it & plants and call it even.
For one most fish are schooling fish and a school of fish if the smallest one's are chosen and properly kept need a 10g. Despite what you see in cups in stores; there's not a single fish out there that you can permanently house in a 1g jug that's just simply not adequate.

Robanada 01-30-2010 08:40 PM

Bahaha, ok, what about shrimp then? Would those be ok?

Angel079 01-30-2010 09:32 PM

Exactly what are you trying to do with this 1g chem lab set up?
Pls don't get me wrong but its kinda like me asking "I have a 1bdrm house can I keep a horse in there"; Most people keep fish, shrimp, cray's, frogs etc to recreate a piece of nature to the best of their knowledge adequately inside their home...

Robanada 01-30-2010 09:47 PM

Aesthetic appeal?
Its more of a decorative thing. We want a fish because it will look nice, and unique. It'll distinguish us from the other labs in the facility ;) (In a good way- we don't want to be like biochem 309 who are distinguished by their lack of productivity.)

Kelso 01-30-2010 09:51 PM

For a minimal amount, I suggest you and your lab mates put in some money and purchase a set up together. Say you all put in 25 bucks and IDK how many of you are in your lab, but say there are six of you...$150 dollars can you get real far...and all of it for 25 bucks a person.

iamntbatman 02-01-2010 12:00 AM

Don't use the silica gel! I think if you filled that thing with water and had silica gel as the "substrate" you'd end up with a bowl full of fish trapped in jello.

I'm not sure I like the idea of using that as a fish tank. Other than that valve on top it looks pretty air-tight, which would be a bad thing.

Robanada 02-02-2010 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelso (Post 316271)
For a minimal amount, I suggest you and your lab mates put in some money and purchase a set up together. Say you all put in 25 bucks and IDK how many of you are in your lab, but say there are six of you...$150 dollars can you get real far...and all of it for 25 bucks a person.

Yeah, well, we were just trying for something simple =p kind of like a goldfish bowl.. We'd rather not spend a lot of money, haha.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamntbatman (Post 316942)
Don't use the silica gel! I think if you filled that thing with water and had silica gel as the "substrate" you'd end up with a bowl full of fish trapped in jello.

Tee hee, I'm glad someone got it =p
Also, that lid comes off, so it's not airtight- so that'll be good.

iamntbatman 02-02-2010 04:06 AM

One gallon is still really small. It could make a pretty nice shrimp tank though. Maybe a really small sponge filter, some plants, some cherry shrimp and a desk lamp with a good bulb for plants?

Robanada 02-02-2010 12:47 PM

What do people put in those little nano cube things? Those are about 1 gallon.. I know some of my floormates have 3 fish in a 1 gal- even I said they must be cramped. They're each 1-2" >.<