Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Mean Harri's plant list (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/mean-harris-plant-list-36291/)

Mean Harri 01-30-2010 04:17 PM

Mean Harri's plant list

Most likely this won't change. I've been sitting here all morning reading, drawing, looking at plant pics back and forth and coming up with a sketch of where to put what plant in the tank. I was going to lay out a sketch of the plants in MS Paint and post it but I'm not that patient.
55 gallon 48"x13"

1- Echinodorus Bleheri
1- Echinodorus Rubin
1- Anubius Barteri var Coffeefolia attached to DW dead center. Will work great for my piece of dw
3-4 Zephyranthes Candida (Dwarf onion)
6- Villisneria Asiatica var. Biwaensis (Corkscrew val)
Limnophila Aromatica 'Hipporoides' will be having a nice sized section of just this plant as a fill for an open area near the back wall on one side to suit my layout plans yet it should stay shorter which is the look I am after.
Sagittaria Subulata (Dwarf) scattered about in the foreground.

Mean Harri 01-30-2010 04:54 PM

In the above list are there plants other than the Coffeefolia that will pull nutrients from the water column? I don't want to liquid fert for one small plant as it seems it would be a waste. I plan on putting down fert sticks for the Echindorus in the list. As a matter of fact: Do I need to fert stick feed the V. Asiatica and Dwarf onions as well?

Mean Harri 01-30-2010 06:09 PM

Never mind. I'll figure it out on my own. I guess had I posted a 2 gallon with a sliver of a root stuck in the gravel I'd get more responses. It's kind of crunch time for this design and I've spent all day working this out. Screw it, I'm going with what I have. It'll work or it won't. If it doesn't, I tear it all down pack it away and move on to something else.

Later

Angel079 01-30-2010 06:41 PM

Am I dreaming? Had I not already responded to a plant list of yours yesterday????? Me is confused...

Anyway yea nice list, may look a lil "slim" with the few plants at first in the 55g. Sticks for the Echi's yes; I wouldn't for the other no.

Mean Harri 01-30-2010 06:54 PM

I changed my list from that other list. This list is it. Oh hell I'm just making a freakin mess everywhere.

Angel079 01-30-2010 06:59 PM

Don't worry I always change my mind a million times before the set up is final :-) I just thought for a min earlier I was starting imagining things lol
Like I told Jonny....here's my list for the new 55g you see under my log, just for comparison as far as quantity and that incl a DW piece in this tank that's 1ft by 6" wide covering the ground (and taller then the tank itself)
2Vallisneria Asitica, 3Vallisneria Spiralis, 1Pennywort, 2Amazon Swords, 2Hygrophilia Angustifolia, 2Cryptocoryne Wendtii Red, 4Cryptocoryne Walkeri, 3Dwarf Sagittaria Subulata,2Hemianthus Micranthemom (Dwarf Baby Tears), 4Ludwiga Natans, 1Nesaea Red, 1Nymphea Lotus Red, 1Narrowleaf Chain Sword

Mean Harri 01-30-2010 07:09 PM

Maybe I am being fulled by the plant pics. I better add more plants. I just don't want to overcrowd it so when the plants do grow up nicely it's too much. Maybe I'll try doing a sketch of my layout to post for scrutiny and suggestions. Meh, I hate drawing lines and circles.

Angel079 01-30-2010 07:14 PM

I wouldn't. I'd order/ buy what YOU like for their looks. Then you'll play around planting them left, right center till you have it figured out give that some 6-8 weeks and then look at it see where you'd like to add XYZ plant as addition.....Do NOT beat yourself up over this.
I strongly suggest to see if you have plants locally, if not to buy but at least to LOOK see what you like what sizes they are etc so you'll get a "feel" for it :-)
Over time you'll develop a "feel" how much of what plants will work for what kinda size & set up, just like I did, don't worry :-)

Mean Harri 01-30-2010 07:23 PM

I should have known better than publish a list. I just changed/added again. I pretty much know what I want to do. I really want to get limnophila Aromatica 'Hipporoides' but Sweet Aquatics is sold out of it. Bummer. This is fun. nerve racking but fun. I'm a hyper ball of hell right now trying to do this. All my RAM and processor Ghz is being used in my brain.

Angel079 01-30-2010 08:28 PM

LMAO....you could always ask Mary when they get some in....you'll change the list a few more times I'm sure :-)