Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Question about Parasites (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/question-about-parasites-36274/)

HollyinWA 01-30-2010 01:22 PM

Question about Parasites

If you cannot determine what killed a fish but could possibly be a parasite disease but not visable and other fish may be acting a little different (may be overreacting by being paranoid), is it safe to medicate the whole tank? It has been awhile since I have had to deal with this sort of thing. I know I have medicated whole tanks before but just wanted to make sure if it is necessary if I do have an extra tank that I can set up. My future QT/hospital tank is not set up yet and even if it was, if the Platy did die from parasites, the main tank could have them in there. I assumed at first that the Platy had damage from dealing with ammonia in the previous new tank during cycling before I got them out of there, but now I am not so sure. Although, he was fine up until the ammonia spiked high.

The thing I am thinking is.....no matter what fish store you go to there always seems to be a fish here and there that is sick with something or a dead one in a tank but all the others seem fine. Just because a fish ends up with something in the community tank does that mean that it will attack all others. I think it depends on what it is. Just trying to figure out if it is necessry to medicate the whole tank or just isolate and medicate any that get sick in a hospital tank. Sometimes though, there are no obvious signs to determine exactly what it is.

Twistersmom 01-30-2010 01:32 PM

Without obvious physical sign of disease, I do not medicate. Its quite possible the fish died from its previous exposure to ammonia. Its impossible to determine what permanent damage could have been caused by the exposure.
IMO, just throwing medication at fish, not knowing what you are treating the fish for, if you are even using the correct meds, will just stress the fish.

Extra clean water can go a long way, treating ill fish. If you think something is not right, try fitting in a few extra water changes during the week and watch for improvement.

HollyinWA 01-30-2010 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twistersmom (Post 315934)
Without obvious physical sign of disease, I do not medicate. Its quite possible the fish died from its previous exposure to ammonia. Its impossible to determine what permanent damage could have been caused by the exposure.
IMO, just throwing medication at fish, not knowing what you are treating the fish for, if you are even using the correct meds, will just stress the fish.

Extra clean water can go a long way, treating ill fish. If you think something is not right, try fitting in a few extra water changes during the week and watch for improvement.

Thanks for the response and that is how I feel. I did not even question my thought until I noticed a possible change in the other platies and tetra's.....nothing major, but just a possible slight change in behaviour. I will keep my eye on them. The Angels look and act great! My tank is quite new but the all water readings are good, and I just did a WC a few days ago. I will do an extra water change before another one is due.

Cyanide 02-03-2010 01:13 PM

On this topic, is "skinny disease" in zebra danios caused by internal worms/other parasites? I also assume they are communicable between other fish.

HollyinWA 02-05-2010 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyanide (Post 318534)
On this topic, is "skinny disease" in zebra danios caused by internal worms/other parasites? I also assume they are communicable between other fish.

Hi, I am sorry, I am not sure if skinny disease is caused from parasites. I think I remember reading something on skinny disease but cannot remember what I read. You may be able to do a search on it online. I am sure something will come up on it. Dawn may get back to this thread as well and may be able to answer it. :-)