Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   info on angels (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/info-angels-3626/)

squiggles1 02-25-2007 07:08 AM

info on angels

i was thinking about putting angelfish in my 45g, any suggestions? like what to look for what to feed them, anything like that.

soco1125 02-25-2007 10:02 AM

What else would be in the tank? Agressive fin-nippers would harass the poor angels to death. Anything too small would become a snack.

As far as what to look for goes, it's really a matter of personal preference. They come in all colours with various fin lengths. Whatever you decide to get, make sure they are active and don't have crooked or bent fins.

They will eat just about anything. Angels are carnivorus. I feed mine a mix of flakes, freeze-dried blood worms, freeze-dried brine shrimp, and live food (guppy fry or tasty-looking bugs I catch in the yard).

scottysgirl 02-25-2007 11:23 AM

I agree soco, angels tend to be very timid fish--even some 'non-agressive' fish can harass them to death!

Arash 02-26-2007 05:46 AM

hi

I agree with our friends angels eat every thing. but they prefer floating food not the food which goes down a lot.

and remember to keep as much as you can. you can easily keep 6 angels and that's a the minimum deal for breeding fish.

and try to keep some small fishs.

and as one of my friend told me make rooms for them ( I mean rocks, plastic and natural plants. and this makes a good deal.

and at last remember :

it's recommended to cycle your tank.

squiggles1 02-26-2007 06:21 AM

yes i have my tank cycling now. im really thinking amazon. plants wood, but leaving free space for them to swim in. i dont necessarily intend on breeding them but if they do then thats fine. tho i read the captive bred ones dont are or heir fry like the wild do. also ive been getting mixd signals in the info ive found. some say if u put them in with smaller fish while they're small then as they grown they prob wont eat them but some say they will. any experience in that?

soco1125 02-26-2007 09:38 AM

I don't know about that. Mine has been in with tetras since day 1 but will still pounce on a decent-sized feeder guppy if given the chance. Sometimes no amount of conditioning will make up for wild natural instincts. I think if they see an opportunity, they will take it.

Of course I know a cat that will cuddle up with and groom a pet bunny that lives in the house, but that same cat will go out into the woods and catch and kill wild rabbits.... so who knows?

angel lover 03-03-2007 09:45 PM

It depends on how hungry they are as to whether they bother other fish. Another thing to consider when getting tanks is that angelfish prefer a higher temperature than most tropical fish. They need a temp of 80 -82 degrees and some exerts keep it higher. They will adjust to lower temps but it isn't the best for them. Plecos (except the bristlenose) and clown loaches should never be kept with angels because they will nibble on them at night. Angelfish are the Queens of the aquarium in my opinion and breeding them is the most interesting and rewarding thing I have done.

Falina 03-08-2007 04:01 PM

thats interesting. im glad i read that because ive got a tank cycling just now with a plec waiting to go in it and i was thinking about getting angels for the tank, now i know not to. when you say nibble, do you mean suck the slime off them? ive heard they do that with goldfish.

soco1125 03-09-2007 09:48 AM

What kind of pleco? Some species, like the common plec, do tend to attach to flat-bodied fish like angels or discus and suck the slime right off of them. The only sucker fish I know for sure will not bother them are otos and bristlenose.