Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Plant questions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/plant-questions-36205/)

Mean Harri 01-28-2010 11:58 PM

Plant questions

Gather round plant gurus. Mean Harri has a few questions.

Sagittaria Subulatu Dwarf states that it will form a carpet in a few weeks.
Question is how? Does one plant spread across the substrate?

Hemianthus Callitrichoides (Dwarf Baby Tears)
What does this plant do as far as growth? Stay short and spread out? I assume it's good for foreground.(?)

Is Hydrotriche Hottoniiflora easy to grow in lower light tanks?

philipboucharddavies 01-29-2010 01:01 AM

Well about the carpet do you know how to set that up? and it takes a good while, depending on wich type you have...in my experience java moss is the fastest. But in a nutshell how to set it up is just get some mesh and buy some carpet plant over it fold the mesh in half tie it together with fishing line place in your tank, VOILA after that its a waiting game. (if you have smaller fish get bigger mesh so they can get in it)

Phil :)

Angel079 01-29-2010 04:24 PM

LOL...
Sagittaria built lil runners these then spared and it'll form a "carpet". That said & looking at my dwarf Sagittaria I doubt it'll cover a larger tank in WEEKS as stated. Also bare in mind this plants grass like leaf's are much wider & taller then other plants such as dwarf hairgrass so you need to know for yourself just how 'tall' your front lawn gotta be :-)

Dwarf baby tears I pers like better then the grasses; if planted on to a piece of screen right away it also spreads and grows up but the mini leaf's look more like a mini star pattern rather then grass; nicer IMO.

Hydrotriche does grow easy however if the lower leaf's give in and fall off these often make your tank very messy which is why many avoid it in their tanks.

Mean Harri 01-29-2010 07:13 PM

Great. So instead of just jamming this stuff into the substrate I have to make like a window maker and play with screen. And the screen lays on the substrate? Gets buried? Gets forgotten about until your window needs patched to keep flies out?

Angel079 01-29-2010 08:25 PM

LOL if you look at my log "New 55g" the 2nd and the last picture both is dwarf baby tears (first one newly attached second growing out).
Easiest is kinda sow it down a lil onto a screen/ mesh whatever you have there and attach it either to driftwood or a rock (so it won't float up)

Mean Harri 01-29-2010 09:33 PM

Ok well I have a list. I find myself being plant snob'ish. Meaning I am only liking certain plants and they aren't many.Do I have to link them like Holly did? I'm not lol
Recommendations as to remove from list, too much too little, omfg what kind of set up are you planning with this, etc... I need your input

DW attachment : Anubias Bateri var. nana narrowleaf
Hornwort to attach to something somewhere

Foreground (may need worked on) Hemianthus Callitrichoides (baby dwarf tears)

Mid level (I think these are all mid sized)
Nesea Pedicellata 'Golden' I hope to be able to grow this
Bacopa Australis
Hydrotriche Hottoniiflora
Limnophila Aromatica 'Hipporoide' says it's easy to grow tolerates most light levels exc. aquarium plant but rates a 3 in difficulty (5 being most diff) not sure why that is

Background:
Vallisneria Asiatica var. Biwaensis (corkscrew val)
Echindorus Barthii (red mellon pot)
Zephyranthes Candida (dwarf onion) pot

Angel079 01-29-2010 10:57 PM

I think you'll do just fine with that list :-)
My only 'concern' with you being you and this list is the dwarf baby tears cause they really won't thrive when buried :-)

Mean Harri 01-29-2010 11:08 PM

I just need to be able to picture this in my mind to be able to plant it in some kind of fashion. I don't know how tall these plants get or how many I need. I'll be screwing this project up I'm sure but I don't want to keep uprooting everything switching stuff around. I'd prefer to plant it once and be done but it be right too.

Mean Harri 01-30-2010 05:51 PM

Forget my list above. I made a new one. This list in null and void.