Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   possible fungus ? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/possible-fungus-3620/)

magic_marty 02-24-2007 09:34 PM

possible fungus ?

I noticed one of our little molly babies has this kind of fuzzy white stuff on it.
Its easy to see cause the molly is all black, its in patches in different places on its body.Anybody have any idea what it could be ?? and if so please advise me on how to treat.He or she acts fine as far as eating and being very actively swimming around.None of the others in the tank with it are showing any signs of this symptom, just the one is all that has it.I tried to get some pictures of it but the little guy just wont be still long enuf to get a decent shot.

Thanks a bunch...

Lupin 02-25-2007 12:08 AM

Unless your molly had wounds, it is not fungus. Fungus is a secondary infection to wounds and will rarely happen. Sounds like columnaris to me. What is your temperature? Columnaris tends to progress if the temperature is high. Try to lower it to 24-26 degrees Celsius. Treat the afflicted fish in a quarantine tank. Isolation should be done immediately before it spreads to other fish. Meds that treat external bacterial infections will help but you must determine your water parameters first. Bad water parameters will only make matters worse.

magic_marty 02-25-2007 02:03 AM

we are doing about 40% water changes daily due to the fact that for some unknown reason this tank wont cycle.Its been running for over 2 months and still will not cycle.I did some reading on columnaris and from what i read it usually starts around the mouth or fins witch is why most mistakingly call it cotton mouth fungus.But theres not any around its mouth its widely spread over the body and is different sized patches.It actually looks like dust bunnies are on it.But after closely looking at the other mollys in the tank it appears that a couple of the others have a white outline around one side of there gill opening where it touches there body.The bad thing is this tank has all of our baby fry in it, a estimated total of 30+ ..I read the reccomended treatment is copper sulfate,
I have some Aqua-sol witch the active ingredient is copper sulfate.I was told that its safe for fry, so i believe my only option is to treat the whole tank in fear of the other tank mates has acquired the problem.

Trishfish 02-25-2007 08:52 AM

Your tank will probably need to cycle again if you end up treating with antibiotics. It will kill the good bacteria. Please post if the copper treatment works.

musho3210 02-25-2007 12:11 PM

remember if you use copper, you will never be able to succesfully raise invertebrate, once copper goes in, it will never come out

magic_marty 02-25-2007 01:50 PM

Yes i read that somewhere before, about how the copper will always be there no matter what.No worries tho this tank is just used as a fry tank and wont ever house any inverts.But the aqua-sol is not clear on how often to treat, it
just says how much per gallon and thats it, nothing about repeating the treatment or adding more during water changes ect...Didn't say to remove the carbon eather ..