Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Advanced Freshwater Discussion (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/advanced-freshwater-discussion/)
-   -   Ridiculous lfs advice! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/advanced-freshwater-discussion/ridiculous-lfs-advice-361585/)

cyclesnipas 03-06-2014 09:23 PM

Ridiculous lfs advice!

Wandering around a lfs I couldn't help overhearing a clerk telling a woman that its "PERFECTLY FINE" to feed her fish EVERY 1-2 hours! :shock: I couldn't believe my ears! What ridiculous advice have you folks heard that made you go WHAAAAAT???

Austin 03-06-2014 11:45 PM

At least she'll probably get lazy and feed once or twice a day anyways

jentralala 03-07-2014 12:36 AM

My LFS sold a red tail catfish to a lady with a 55 gallon -__-

rsskylight04 03-07-2014 02:28 AM

Told my wife angelfish are livebearers.:roll:

jay0884 03-07-2014 06:27 AM

I overheard an employee tell a customer they could house any type of cichlids together. They were all compatible because they were all cichlids. Smh.

Flint 03-07-2014 07:29 AM

Cardinals are the best source of live food for oscars. (At $4.50 a pop, that's just a money gimmick)

At Petsmart the other day I watched a man carrying around a gallon bowl and the employee direct him to the feeder tank.... I left before I got myself kicked out.

Agent13 03-07-2014 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyclesnipas (Post 4060833)
Wandering around a lfs I couldn't help overhearing a clerk telling a woman that its "PERFECTLY FINE" to feed her fish EVERY 1-2 hours! :shock: I couldn't believe my ears! What ridiculous advice have you folks heard that made you go WHAAAAAT???

Lol! You don't even feed newborn human babies like that ! Well unless you have a preemie .

Sent from Petguide.com App

Flint 03-07-2014 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent13 (Post 4062545)
Lol! You don't even feed newborn human babies like that ! Well unless you have a preemie .

-runs to voice fears of mommyhood in Ali's thread-

Sharky1234 03-07-2014 02:46 PM

Some of the worst advice I've heard was a Betta and a Cory can live together just fine in a tank, they won't fight at all and the Cory will just sit around happy all the time!

And Serpae Tetras are completely peaceful fish, you can have them with anything and have no problems.

One time someone had a question and was waiting for an employee so I gave them the advice they needed, and showed them how to tell male and female livebearers apart :-D

Agent13 03-07-2014 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharky1234 (Post 4065001)
Some of the worst advice I've heard was a Betta and a Cory can live together just fine in a tank, they won't fight at all and the Cory will just sit around happy all the time!

That advice was given because generally it's true. Bettas and corys are one of the safer mixes that could have been suggested . Sure there are some unusually mean bettas that will not tolerate that but that's not the majority. Assuming you have the proper tank size of course.
My male betta has lived harmoniously for something like 2yrs with corys .. Other fish too now but started with corys . He actually seems to like them really . Sinks his food to eat with them , schools with them and even most often will be found sitting in the sand on the bottom of the tank with them . I call him my Bettadora. He's now with something like 20 corys .

However I don't just talk from personal experience . When you have a decent sized tank it's a very nice stocking .