Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Coral and Reef Creatures (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/)
-   -   Looks like my anemone ate my cucumber :( (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/looks-like-my-anemone-ate-my-3615/)

Glendor 02-24-2007 06:55 PM

Looks like my anemone ate my cucumber :(

I think my anemone ate my new cucumber. The cuke, named Gherkin, didn't even last a full 24 hours. The anemone lives on the underside of a liverock arch, and extends down & forward to face the front of the tank. I added a small cucumber Thursday. It was about as big as my pinky finger, and was named Gherkin for obvious reasons.

Friday morning, the anemone was extended all the way down to the sand below the arch, with it's face pressed against the sand. It was extended farther than I had ever seen it expand, and it's trunk was alternately thick, and thin. It was like that all day, and we couldn't see the cuke anywhere.

It's been almost two days now, and now sign of Gherkin, but the anemone is looking fine, and is back to his normal position, guarding the archway. I'm guessing Gherkin tried to feed on the sand under the arch, but got DFA by the anemone.

caferacermike 02-25-2007 09:51 AM

Not saying it did not happen but as a keeper of over 12 cukes in my tank with 2 large highly carnivorous anemones I can safely say I've never seen my anemones attempt to eat them. Cukes are toxic and therefor have an excretion that says, "do not eat me". Cukes bury into the sand, squeeze in rock work, and can outright hide. A friend bought one a few months back and swore it was dead. 2 months later it "reappeared". What type did you get? If it was a bright yellow/green one or pink and thorny one, they are filter feeders. They pick an out of the way spot and and tend to never move again. The black and tiger tails move around a whole lot. Those are the substrate eaters.

Melissa 02-26-2007 08:30 AM

i would really look areound your tank. your cuke may have found a spot where he can get circulation of water, and you cant see him. im not sure what kind we have, its pink and thorny looking, but he always sits up in the top of the tank by the the return pipe.when cukes find a good spot they may not move for months. so yours may just be hiding somewhere.

Glendor 03-22-2007 01:44 PM

I was wrong, you all were right. The cuke was not eaten, it was just hiding; hiding very well I might add. I saw it yesterday, so everything is fine.

Except maybe my anemone. I've noticed lately that it's normally translucent white tentacles are not all looking the same. Some are kind of 'smokey' colored. I'm concerned that it could be a health problem. I checked the water chemistry, and everything comes out good except for the nitrates which have always been a problem in my tank. Actually, they were not as high as usual, but still that is the only thing that would be considered bad.

Has anybody else seen a pink tipped condy that turns grayish-brown?

musho3210 03-22-2007 05:17 PM

how much light is in the tank?