Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Compatibility Issues (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/compatibility-issues-36139/)

PRichs87 01-27-2010 10:07 PM

Compatibility Issues

So I am having some compatibility issues in my tank.

I currently have a 29 gallon, but will be upgrading to a 55 once my fish grow some more.

I bought 2 angelfish the other day and now 1 of my female swordtails is being SUPER aggressive, I'm considering taking the trio (swords) back to the store. I've already had to switch out one female last week, and now another one is all over my angels and dwarf gourami. These swords are mean to everyone! I dont want my angels to suffer, I like them better.

As of now my tank contains:

2 angels
1 dwarf gourami
3 swords (1 M, 2F)

My question is, would you take the swords back if it were your tank? I've only had them for 1.5 weeks and I'm pretty sure my LFS will trade them with me, he's a good guy.

Secondly, if you would take them back, any suggestions on some good schooling fish for my tank as a replacement??

Thanks in advanced!!!!

jaysee 01-28-2010 12:25 AM

I would take back the angels. They are likely to get aggressive, especially if they pair up.

PRichs87 01-28-2010 01:30 AM

I will be upgrading to a 55 eventually for the angels

jaysee 01-28-2010 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PRichs87 (Post 314379)
I will be upgrading to a 55 eventually for the angels

Sorry, I'm of the mindest you stock the tank you have.

iamntbatman 01-28-2010 03:24 AM

Livebearers can be all over the place in terms of personality. In my experience, swordtails are generally pretty docile so it sounds like you got one that's just a jerk. I'd consider trading in the problem sword for another female, hopefully less rowdy this time around.

Or, if you don't really like the swordtails and want to get rid of them altogether, you could get a nice school of rummynose tetras (especially if you're upgrading to the 55g). Rummies do well with angels and are pretty much tops when it comes to tightly schooling tetras.

Angel079 01-28-2010 09:00 AM

Was this my tank...I'd bring the Swords back as well and stay away from livebeare's.
Rummy's are great, I loveee mine...but be sure to be able to offer a pH less then 7 and hardness between 5-10 max for them to really thrive in your tank. If you have harder water then that, how about a group of white clouds?

HollyinWA 01-28-2010 10:48 AM

I agree, even though I hate taking fish back to the LFS, I would take the Swordtails back. Angel's are special to me as well and they have never given me big problems in the past with aggression. Maybe I got lucky. I never had more than two and that can be trouble sometimes, but mine always ended up being a pair.

Never have had the Rummynose, but I have watched them and think they are a great idea! If I knew I was going to have room for them after I stock the Angels, I would consider them.

HollyinWA 01-28-2010 11:00 AM

P.S. I was thinking, if you like the Swords and the color they bring to the tank, you could take the one agressive female back like the other poster said, and then if it still does not work out, you can then take all three back. However, a group of nice peaceful schooling fish sure looks nice in a tank.

PRichs87 01-28-2010 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HollyinWA (Post 314507)
P.S. I was thinking, if you like the Swords and the color they bring to the tank, you could take the one agressive female back like the other poster said, and then if it still does not work out, you can then take all three back. However, a group of nice peaceful schooling fish sure looks nice in a tank.

I already have traded in a very aggressive female, and I got another one that turned the group into psychos! It's very frustrating!!!!

HollyinWA 01-28-2010 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PRichs87 (Post 314663)
I already have traded in a very aggressive female, and I got another one that turned the group into psychos! It's very frustrating!!!!

Oh, I see. If that is the case, I would take all three back and get a nice group of schooling fish or something else that would make good tankmates for the Angels. This type of thing is frustrating!

Keep us posted.