Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Nano Reef (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/nano-reef/)
-   -   My 10 G Nano (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/nano-reef/my-10-g-nano-36132/)

Highland lake13 01-27-2010 08:15 PM

My 10 G Nano

10 Attachment(s)
Well today I finally found the time to download all the pics to the computer and start the thread. This is a 15 G long. I set up the tank during my winter break about 3-4 weeks ago. I added a little bit of live rock (one little piece) from my 12 G, after about 2 weeks diatom algea started showing up. 3rd week the copepods really started showing up. I let everything sit and cycle until today when i picked up about 16 pounds of LR.

Stocking plans:
CUC: 2 Astraea Snails, 2 Margarita Snails, 2 Cerith Snails
3 Scarlet Hermit Crabs, 3 Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crab
Other Inverts:
1 Pistol Shrimp
1 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
Fish Possibilities:
2 Tank-Bred Ocellaris Clownfish
1 Diamond Watchmen Goby
1 Yellow Clown Goby
1-2 Firefish
1-2 Purple Fish

Here are the pics, not a great camera

fishesfriend 01-27-2010 09:24 PM

I'm not to good at stocking but I would go with the clown pair, clown goby, and daimond goby.

Bluetangclan 01-27-2010 10:24 PM

Neat rock work. I like it.
I would go with the two clowns and one of the others. I dont mess with gobies too much and have never had a firefish. Three fish is the most I would do long term as the clowns will get some size to them(relatively speaking). Whats a puprle fish? Or do you mean a purple fish? Royal gramma, blackcap basslet?

Highland lake13 01-28-2010 04:10 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I meant to say purple firefish. I do like royal grammas but already have one in my other nano so I would prefer to try something different. Right now I am leaning towards a pair of clowns and a diamond goby. Obviously not right now. This weekend I will probably go to the LFS to pick up a CUC since the algae is starting to have its first big bloom.

I am not super happy with my LFS’s live rock selection. They hundreds of pieces to choose from but there was really only one rock of the size I was looking for with decent amount of coralline growth on it. Most of the pieces look like they were bleached and then put in their big holder where they keep the LR. I made try and get a pound or two from another store, we’ll see.

I will, also, rework to rock structure this weekend so that there is less rock touching the sand

Pics with the tank clearer:

Pasfur 01-28-2010 07:03 PM

I love the barnacle! I know they are a bit out of place with all the live rock, but I think they look great, and the get coated with life quickly.

Highland lake13 01-28-2010 08:21 PM

Is the purple/blueish thing on the LR a barnacle? if so what can i do to keep it alive because it a beautiful color.

Does anyone have any comments/suggestions/recomendations for the CUC
This is just a rough draft
2 Astraea Snails, 2 Margarita Snails, 2 Cerith Snails
3 Scarlet Hermit Crabs, 3 Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crab
Other Inverts:
1 Pistol Shrimp
1 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

Pasfur 01-28-2010 08:26 PM

No, i'm sorry, the artificial coral decoration in the far right of the picture, with holes sticking up. It is totally covered with life at this point, so it blends right in.

Highland lake13 01-28-2010 08:42 PM

There is no artificial coral decoration in the tank, so i think you are talking about a piece of LR? You are the expert, but i do know there are no decorations in the tank just LR. But do you have any idea what that blue thing is?... it is very hard and just feels like part of the rock, if that helps

Highland lake13 01-29-2010 11:49 PM

Soooo I just realized i wrote 15 G nano on the title when it is actually a 10, sorry for the inconvenience if anyone has the opportunity to change that it would be much appreciated.

That being said that next project for this tank is the lighting system. I am currently just running the lights that came with the tank. They are 15 Watts which I know is way too low for a successful salt water tank. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a good lighting system that I can take . The tank dimensions are 20" long x 10" wide x 12" high. Any help will help

Will add pictures after I get my CUC

Pasfur 01-30-2010 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Highland lake13 (Post 315732)
Soooo I just realized i wrote 15 G nano on the title when it is actually a 10, sorry for the inconvenience if anyone has the opportunity to change that it would be much appreciated.

Title change as requested.

I'm starring at that rock and I still can't tell if it is a barnacle. You may have just purchased a piece of barnacle rock, covered with growth. Either way, it is a cool looking piece.