Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Saltwater Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-fish/)
-   -   Bamboo Cat Shark (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-fish/bamboo-cat-shark-3613/)

Bamboo_Kitten_Shark 02-24-2007 05:52 PM

Bamboo Cat Shark

Ok, i've been thinking for weeks, i wasgoing tog et some seahorses in a 55g to breed, then i decided to start out with saltwater, then start breeding, then i thought a 55g reef tank with radiata lionfish and snowflake eel.

now, i have thought alot about it, and i think getting a bamboo cat shark would be way more worth the money.

I'm plannin on getting a 277 gallon circle pool with a sitting area, where the shark could swim up for feeding time or something.

it will be tough i know, and i'll be ready.

i'll have a tub as a refugium, live rock, tubeworms, clam, anything i can afford to help filter. It will also have a heater of course.

i have some questions.

what is a good book that someone can suggest for learning more about keeping a bamboo cat shark?

and does anyone know a cheap place with cheap shipping i can get a bamboo cat shark egg at?

also, should i hatch the egg in the pool or should it be hatched in like a 15 gallon tub? guessing the egg should be hatched in pool right?

i want to get it and raise it from birth, it will be a fun experience and he will grow up in his pool. since i am getting it and hatching it, can i train it to be hand feed at birth and work with it so when it's bigger it will be more tame?

should i get like big angelfish or some triggerfish in the pool so he won't be lonely or is that a waste of money?

hoping someone can answer atleast some of my questions. thanks in advance!

musho3210 02-24-2007 06:12 PM

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...cfm?pCatId=294

thats a Black Banded Cat Shark Egg, the shipping seems cheap there and im pretty sure that place is a big name online retailer

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...fm?pCatId=1523

theres an adult Marbled Bamboo Cat Shark, costs more but its more of what you want

With the refugium i think a deep sand bed is good as well as macro algae, but that might only be for fish not sharks.

Your also gonna have to run a huge skimming system cause last i heard sharks produce a lot of waste. You could also raise saltwater feeder shrimp like the white shrimp in the refugium and feed them to the shark every once in a while

Do you have a public aquarium near you or a zoo that has these sharks, i dont know if anyone here keeps sharks.

As company it will pretty much only need you but you might be able to get him a partner shark to hang around with, just raise them both from birth to prevent any harm later on.

Bamboo_Kitten_Shark 02-24-2007 06:19 PM

why would you say that? about the marbel? is it easier to hand feed or something?

i don't mind if the black banded or whatever isn't easy to train. one reason i want teh black banded is becuase i've always loved sharks, and riasing one from birth would be a dream come true.

PS: that shark, if i bought the marbeled there, would be 3-4", not adult.

and i have been looking, i was planning on live aquaria, but aquacon.conm is cheaper, but only by $6. so should i buy from the large online retailer or the not as large retailer that has them all the time?

glad to get a reply, i've been sitting here, and i've registered at 8 forums and psoted this on all of them hoping forplenty of replies and opinions. this is the first reply so far.

:D

musho3210 02-24-2007 06:27 PM

sorry i missed the part about the adult, i just meant that it would have already been hatched and sold to you. Im no shark expert by the way, i only know small bits of information and common sense.

How big with the refugium be? Im guessing it will be similar to a sump where you will put all your equipment in like the skimmer, heater etc. The refugium will also be a good place to raise the live food that the shark will eat like shrimp and mussels etc.

That website only sells the one type of shark egg, not a marbled shark egg so thats why i told you about the adult

Lupin 02-24-2007 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musho3210
sorry i missed the part about the adult, i just meant that it would have already been hatched and sold to you. Im no shark expert by the way, i only know small bits of information and common sense.

Ryan, I hope you read this thread before you try to talk more about them.:shock:
http://www.fishforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=4271
Worth reading IMO. Mike has explained everything despite the fact that my enthusiasm and interest does not lie in the marine hobby.

By the way, welcome.:wave:

musho3210 02-24-2007 06:31 PM

i read that thread, but this guy seems more experianced and has a bigger tank, if he raises the shark from young maybe he will love it so much that he gets a bigger tank/pond/pool for it. He is making a 277 gallon pool, thats almost 100 gallons bigger than the other guy and he is only having one shark, i just thought it was more acceptable for a 277 than a 180 and decided i might help. As i said earlier, i am no shark expert.

Lupin 02-24-2007 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musho3210
i read that thread, but this guy seems more experianced and has a bigger tank, if he raises the shark from young maybe he will love it so much that he gets a bigger tank/pond/pool for it.

Well, I do hope so because I would hate to see someone in trouble with rehoming fish that were supposed to be banned from the trade.:)

Good luck, Bamboo Kitten Shark.:wave:

Melissa 02-24-2007 06:47 PM

yes, please read the link blue put in here before you get a shark.

musho3210 02-24-2007 06:49 PM

Would you consider out growing the shark and giving it away to a public aquarium? I dont know the growth speed of this shark but im sure you can spend some quality time with it before you give it away.

Where do you live? If weather permits you might be able to make a huge outdoor pond. One of my moms friend changed her maybe 10,000 gallon swimming pool (it was big, i think 3 meters deep on one end, 1 meter deep on the other end and 35 meters long?) into a fish pond. If you train your shark well enough, wear chainmail if your scared, then wash yourself in saltwater while wearing proper diving equipment, you can even swim with him :)

Bamboo_Kitten_Shark 02-24-2007 07:08 PM

OMG you have to be kidding me!?

600 freaking gallons!?

the recommended on every site i've seen is 180, and i'm giving it 277 with one shark that can get around 3' 6".

are you guys saying he can't live in a 277 gallon pool?

i'm 14, so i don't have my own house and definatly not a large pool to convert to a pond. we have an indoor pool but i highly doubt my parents want to turn it into a big shark home.

please tell me that he an live in a 277!