Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   moral support for a 'dirty' aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/moral-support-dirty-aquarium-36072/)

stephanieleah 01-26-2010 08:19 PM

moral support for a 'dirty' aquarium

So, I just switched my WC schedule from twice a week @ 40% to once a week @ 50%. This was based on recent threads about water changes and frequencies, and also one of our plant guru members has mentioned a few times that an immaculate aquarium isn't necessarily healthy (or natural) or in the best interest of the plants and fish. Not that it should be filthy and neglected, but not sparkly clean.

But I'm having a hard time when I see little pieces of debris and stuff on the plants and floating in the water. Sometimes when the fish are swimming around a lot, they stir up the fish poo on the gravel. Maybe I'm overfeeding, too.

I'm gonna hold out till the weekend (my next WC) but I just wanted to, um, express myself.

:?

Angel079 01-26-2010 08:44 PM

What happens with this excess in your tank it'll break down and over time(long time) create mulm built ups which is pretty much a organic fertilization platform for plants (not to mention snack bar for shrimps).

Let's be clear about this, these Amano style shop tanks you see are just that a SHOW tank and NOT a permanent & healthy set up.

Your tank is NOT a hospital, tanks that are cleaned too much are indeed sick tanks and will more likely then not develop issues, much like tanks that are totally negated. So just like the lights or ferts we discussed before its all about the right balance and a spotless super hospital sterile clean tank is neither natural nor desirable!

So just keep your hands off of it, take the extra time for FIVE mins Stephanie relax time!!!!

Mean Harri 01-26-2010 09:07 PM

Deep breath ohm, deep breath ohm. Shoulder massage deep breath. It will be ok. You're too intelligent to not make it work. We'll convert you to middle America slower paced and relaxing pace yet.

FrogHerder 01-26-2010 09:31 PM

Meh. Just think of poo as a way for mother nature to transfer excess nutrients from one place to another so they can be used by other life forms. If there were no poo, there'd be no me and no you.

YouTube - Circle Of Poo

jeaninel 01-26-2010 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrogHerder (Post 313633)
Meh. Just think of poo as a way for mother nature to transfer excess nutrients from one place to another so they can be used by other life forms. If there were no poo, there'd be no me and no you.

YouTube - Circle Of Poo

LOL :rofl:

Lynda B 01-27-2010 08:51 AM

Step away from the tank, Stephanie..... step away from the tank.

stephanieleah 01-27-2010 09:44 AM

Okay, I'm stepping away from the tank. And relaxing for a change. And embracing the poo.

Thanks for the great feedback and the big laughs.

deep breath in........deep breath out.........in..........out........

Romad 01-27-2010 10:17 AM

Embracing the poo - ha ha ha

That made me laugh on a much needed chuckle morning.

aunt kymmie 01-27-2010 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephanieleah (Post 313860)
Okay, I'm stepping away from the tank. And relaxing for a change. And embracing the poo.

Thanks for the great feedback and the big laughs.

deep breath in........deep breath out.........in..........out........

Spoken like a true yogini. :-D
Who would have thought one could be *enlightened* about poo?? LOL

Kelso 01-27-2010 12:37 PM

That's how I maintain all my tanks, once a week 40-50% water change...it's all good ;)