Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/off-topic-discussions/)
-   -   Ads for R rated movies in PG shows? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/off-topic-discussions/ads-r-rated-movies-pg-shows-36055/)

shane3fan 01-26-2010 04:35 PM

Ads for R rated movies in PG shows?

I seriously want to do something about this, even if it involves lots of work or lots of money. It drives me crazy and I dont know where to start with trying to get something changed for our kids.

It started a while back, watching Mythbusters with my son---the show is rated PG. During a commercial break an ad comes on for some horror movie--dont remember which one, just know it scared my son. Well, this past weekend, same deal. We were watching Animal Planet at around 7 pm and all of a sudden an ad comes on for the new Anthony Hopkins werewolf movie--again scared my son.

Am I alone in thinking that it should be safe for my son to watch TV shows with me that are rated PG and not have to worry about the commercials giving him nightmares?

Any idea on where I can start fussing?

dramaqueen 01-26-2010 05:18 PM

I have no idea where you can start with this but I would be concerned, too about those ads scaring children.

Mean Harri 01-26-2010 05:23 PM

I guess you could write a complaint to the FCC. I'm not sure they will do much though. You may also complain to the network you were watching. Although I don't know the names of any I am sure there are watchdog groups out there as well that may take your concerns and have contacts that can get word passed around to pressure networks, etc...

I feel your pain. I don't have kids myself but commercials bug me anyhow. You pay for a service, in this case television, and you're bombarded with commercials from companies that pay to interrupt the service you are paying for. And they are dumb commercials as well.

I wish you luck. Society has made life quite crappy for us normal folks.

mrdemin 01-26-2010 05:44 PM

Commercials for rated R movies doesnt mean the commercials themselves are rated R. I think there is enough sensorship in America, I would be against adding on more to it.
I'm not a parent, but I don't see how a scary commercial can have an impact on a little kid, the most it can do is make him/her cry for 5 minutes.
I totally disagree about this, sorry. I am also the person who thinks rap music has a very negative influence on these 10 year old gangbangers, BUT I am not for removing this stuff from TV. I would blame the parents for letting their kids watch the crap, and doing a poor job raising them.

shane3fan 01-27-2010 10:08 AM

This is the latest commercial to cause me to gripe ;

YouTube - The Wolfman - TV Spot: "Afraid"

AngelicScars 01-28-2010 06:35 PM

I think we all should watch TV at our own risk with the kiddos. I mean, the ads were paid for and these ads are why the show is being aired.
Usually ads like that occur later in the evening and on TV stations that show more mature shows.
I have an (almost) 4 year old and the only TV shows he watches is on PBS kids. Everything else is on DVDs that I approve of. If I felt uncomfortable with what I was seeing on TV with my son, I'd just stop watching TV or make sure he wasn't watching.