Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   My blood parrot cichlids need good tankmates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/my-blood-parrot-cichlids-need-good-36045/)

Lynda B 01-26-2010 02:05 PM

My blood parrot cichlids need good tankmates

This weekend, I'm moving my 2 blood parrot cichlids into a 46 gallon bow front tank. They reside with a rainbow shark, who will be making the move with them and 4 golden gouramis, who may or may not be making the move. I don't care for the incessant chasing the gouramis do, although they only chase their own. It makes me a stressful fish mom.

So..... with the 2 cichlids and the rainbow, what do you think would blend well as tankmates in the 45 gallon? I do love my cichlids. They have so much personality.

Thanks for your time and opinions! :-)

rrcoolj 01-26-2010 03:01 PM

blood parrots if I remeber right get pretty big so not much but you can definatly add smaller fish like convicts(just don't get a pair or you won't hear the end of it).

discus05 01-26-2010 03:08 PM

hi

i think that the following would be fine in your tank

.flowerhorn
.oscar
.medium pleco
.synodontis
.texas cichlid
.jack dempsey
.silver sharks
.fire eel
.green terror
.red terror
.black belt cichlid
.pangasius
.vieja synspila

could go on but these are just a few

Pasfur 01-26-2010 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by discus05 (Post 313326)
hi

i think that the following would be fine in your tank

.flowerhorn
.oscar
.medium pleco
.synodontis
.texas cichlid
.jack dempsey
.silver sharks
.fire eel
.green terror
.red terror
.black belt cichlid
.pangasius
.vieja synspila

could go on but these are just a few

I have some serious disagreement with this list. Oscar's get far to large for the tank size, and do so quickly. The Texas Cichlid, Jack Dempsey, Green Terror, and Red Terror are far to aggressive for a Blood Parrot in a small tank like this one. Silver Sharks are brachish. I am not familiar with some of the other selections, but without looking them up I suspect there are problems there are well.

In fact, I am not sure this post is real and will be monitoring the response. This information is so bad that i wonder if you are attempting to sabotage the tank in question.

Lynda B 01-26-2010 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasfur (Post 313327)
In fact, I am not sure this post is real and will be monitoring the response. This information is so bad that i wonder if you are attempting to sabotage the tank in question.

I'm grateful for your response. I'm also grateful I'm not a fishkeeping virgin. I already realize that some of the fish mentioned would quickly outgrow this tank and I'm not a fan of stunting growth in my fish.

Thanks for watching out for me.

My particular rainbow shark is very peaceful. Yes, she guards her private space, but she doesn't attack and has never caused harm to another fish. I'm fairly certain she'd be fine with just about any new tankmates.

I'm thinking I'd like to perhaps add a dwarf cichlid to this tank. As I'm new to the world of cichlids, suggestions are welcome.

I don't want any fish that will get larger, or even as large, as my parrots. I would like them to be my centerpiece. Can I have more than 2 of them? Perhaps one more?

Pasfur 01-26-2010 03:23 PM

Lynda,

I kept a Blood Parrot and Gold Severum together for nearly 12 years in a 55 gallon tank. I found they are rather passive to most tank mates. My preference was a nice school of larger Tetras, such as Congo's. You would also have no trouble at all with Jurapari. Check out the Jurapari surinamensis. You will love it.

Lynda B 01-26-2010 03:26 PM

Thanks! I'lll look into that. Keep the suggestions coming. :)

OoohBarracuda 01-26-2010 04:16 PM

how about a couple angelfish?

OoohBarracuda 01-26-2010 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynda B (Post 313299)
This weekend, I'm moving my 2 blood parrot cichlids into a 46 gallon bow front tank. They reside with a rainbow shark, who will be making the move with them and 4 golden gouramis, who may or may not be making the move.

i have wondered if i could house 2 blood parrots with my gouramis. anyone else have experience with this?

Pasfur 01-26-2010 05:46 PM

The Blue Gourami members, including the Gold, Opaline, 3 Spot, etc, should all be fine with a Blood Parrot, as would a Moonlight Gourami. I would avoid the "Giant" Gourami (Colisa fasciata) and the True Giant Gourami (Osphronemus gourami).

I think Angelfish would be a poor choice. If nothing else, the Blood Parrot are just to boisterous.