Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Setting up new tank and would like help on compatible African Mbuna cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/setting-up-new-tank-would-like-360241/)

stormytraveler 03-04-2014 07:29 AM

Setting up new tank and would like help on compatible African Mbuna cichlids

I recently purchased a 55 gallon aquarium and want to stock it with lake Malawi Mbuna cichlids. In the research I have been doing it stresses being careful that the cichlids are compatible. I would like as colorful as possible with red, blue, and yellow. From what I have read most blue cichlids are aggressive although I did find articles with a few that said that they weren't. I haven't found any true red that was a mbuna cichlid they have all been the "free swimming" type. I have put together a list of possibilities and submit it here for the advise of those who have far more experience then I.

Labidochromis caeruleus (Electric Yellow Lab)

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/photos/...sScroLKAxk.jpg
Cyrtocara moorii (Blue Dolphin) I included a photo because I'm not sure on the exact name of this cichlid

The third species I am considering is either:
Pseudotropheus Demasoni ( Demason) or
Lodotropheus Sprengerae ( Rusty Cichlid/ Lavender Mbuna/Lavender cichlid)

I would love to have Neolamprologus leleupi (Orange Leleupi) or Neolamprologus cylindricus (Cylindricus Cichlid) but I don't know if there is a problem with mixing Lake Tanganyika and Lake Malawi cichlids.

I would also like to a Ancistrus sp (Red Chocolate Pleco). Any thoughts? I have read that Bushynose/Brissle nose Plecos are compatible with cichlids if the Red Chocolate didn't work.

I would appreciate any information or suggestions that anyone may have.

stormytraveler 03-06-2014 06:43 AM

Here is another combination that I was wondering if it would work better
Labidochromis caeruleus
Iodotropheus sprengerae
Astatotilapia latifasciata
and maybe a brisslenose pleco

Agent13 03-06-2014 07:48 AM

Labidochromis caeruleus is always a safe but for a lake malawi tank..yes its best not to mix lakes..
Cytocara moori would need a larger tank..125g is more ideal for them..also not a great match for mbuna.
Demosani works .. Theyre a bit aggressive but you'll learn that many of these fish are aggressive and thats OK..theyll establish a pecking order.
Iodotropheus sprengerae is a great choice.. Very pretty fish..especially the males.
Now I would not normaly tell you a carnivore would do ok in rhis tank the Astatolapia l. Might be ok. They are from even harder water then mbuna but i wouldnt worry sweat it. Their diet is very different but i think they'll do ok on NLS cichlid pellets .
So mainlt you have a mbuna tank with this.. They are herbivores but can east small crustaceans. Regular fish food can cause malawi bloat as their intestines are made for meaty foods. Theyd be in difrect competition with the bn plecos diet too. Not saying that wouldnt work though

Oh.. You might really like a percicax red top ndumbi. They get a nice bright red stripe along the top and are blue bodied.
Another really pretty choice is the Labidichromis sp. Hongi the super red varient. Its naturally bred and a very pretty fish. (if you find them tell me! Lol)

In case you arent aware.. Rift lake tanks should have a small dose of marine salt.. Can also add on top of that a littl epsom salt and aquarium salt.. This assists to replicate their naturally high salt high GH KH water from their lakes. They do best when you add that.

Best of luck!

stormytraveler 03-12-2014 07:37 AM

I've been looking around and wonder about peacock cichlids. I really like the Aulonocara stuartgranti chiwindi this color variation. http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profile...?id=1393&pic=1
I've been warned about crossbreeding between the aulonocara species and to make sure they are compatible. What would be compatible with them or can you house say 2 males with several females as a single species tank in a 55 gallon?

I've been looking at Aulonocara stuartgranti (Chirwa Is.) and Aulonocara jacobfreibergi eureka red to go along with. but I'm not set as I would like the best color combination possible. Could I still have the yellow labs even thou the Aulonocara look to be all carnivorous?

Agent13 03-12-2014 01:01 PM

Are you wanting to breed them? Or just concerned about crossbreeding?
The reason its advised as species only with peacocks mostly would be for breeding reasons. Females are all almost impossible to tell which is which. Thats why you need ablegit breeder to get a breeding group . Or a store that is supplied by a proper breeder. However if you aren't trying to sell fry(although mixed peacocks are hardly a hot topic or frowned upon) then any peacock that I can think of can be housed together.

Actually yellow labs are a nice personality to mix with Aulonocara... In fact they both have very similar diet. Yellow labs are one of the few mbuna that are truly omnivorous ...and aulonocara are as well. I will say the aulonocara might lean a wee bit more towards meaty foods but without the omnivore style diet you will not get the bright colors you want.

Just a thought though.. If you want several colors white labs are very pretty . They are white with a pretty blue sheen .. Then yellow labs and whichever of the peacocks you settle on. I thik that would make a pretty , colorful and rather undemanding african cichlid tank.

stormytraveler 03-13-2014 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent13 (Post 4099121)
Are you wanting to breed them? Or just concerned about crossbreeding?
The reason its advised as species only with peacocks mostly would be for breeding reasons. Females are all almost impossible to tell which is which. Thats why you need ablegit breeder to get a breeding group . Or a store that is supplied by a proper breeder.

Where would you recommend finding one of these breeders? I just want to make sure that I really get the color variation that I want because I wouldn't know until they get older if they aren't the right color.

Agent13 03-13-2014 02:10 PM

Blue grass aquatics, davesfish.com or a local breeder that sells to a good LFS here.. Dont know his contact info but i can try to get it if you'd like. Ive used all thre of these to buy my africans. They are good quality and pure lines.. Whenever i attempt to buy elsewhere my cichlids murder the new fish in 1hr -2 days max :shock: They know quality and dont want subpar fish in their tank i guess haha

I even have two little babies thriving with muh larger extremely agressive fish at the moment from bluegrass. They'll grow up fine no doubt. Healthy and holding their own ... And I find it easier to sex the fish young coming from these places. At 1inch I'm pretty sure what sex these guy are . Fairly certain being pure versions of a species helps. You'd be shocked to find how many stores and suppliers(lots of ones from florida!) have accidental cross breeds ... Often unknowingly.