Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   oh my, to many ideas and problems... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/oh-my-many-ideas-problems-36014/)

teddyzaper 01-25-2010 09:35 PM

oh my, to many ideas and problems...

Ok, so i currently have 3 tanks and a tank just sitting with water. I currently have a 55gal, 35 gal, 30 gal and a 10 gal just sitting around. i would like to take down the 35 and move all the fish to the almost empty 30gal. in the 30 gal i WOULD have 2 angelfish, 1 honey gourami, 5 rummy nose, 4 skunk cories, and like 25 guppies (guppies for food for the jack dempsy). since the guppies wont be gaining numbers, ill probably take the numbers down to 10.

In the 55gal tank i have a jack dempsy, a pictus cat, and a really messy pleco. i would really like to add another fish to the tank, probably either another cat or another cichlid. i do love big cichlids, so the bigger the better, but i dont wanna overcroud the tank. i am open for suggestions so please suggest some fish that would suite the tank. the fish are all very healthy and the only health problem was ich about 4 months ago, and they all eat very well and my JD just loves to gulp down the guppies :twisted:. i would like to keep this tank as it is with one addition to the family.

So my main problem is the 35gal and the 30gal. my mom has a rule that im only allowed 3 tanks, but she is willing to bend that rule by allowing me 35gal of water instead of just one tank. My plan is to breed some sort of fish. i am VERY open to suggestions on this and would love some basic info on the fish, the only thing is i dont want recomendations on guppies ;-). i was thinking of having a betta surrority as a 20gal tank, then a 10 gallon split into 2 or three sections to house male bettas. then i would have a 5 gallon tank for the babies, and when the babies get big enough, i would sell them. there are probably many flaws with this, so please point them out to me.

My other plan was to just keep the 35gal and the 30gal and have some african leaf fish in the 30gal and the previously listed fish in the 35gal. i would also keep he 50gal with the JD and pictus and pleco in it. the problem is i would like to take down the 35 gal because i just dont like the shape of it, and i cant get it to look the way i like it.

So PLEASE any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

summary:

Q: what cat, or cichlid could i put with a jack dempsey, pictus, and pleco.

Q: What fish can i breed withing 35gal ristriction (no maximum amount of tanks)

Q: can angelfish live in a 30gal tank (im pretty sure they can, the tank is a decent hight)

Q: could i breed angel fish? probably not

:roll: I know its confusing but please take the time to read it to help a fellow fish FINatic :lol:

Angel079 01-25-2010 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teddyzaper (Post 312965)
Q: what cat, or cichlid could i put with a jack dempsey, pictus, and pleco.

A small group of adult yellows?!

Quote:

Q: What fish can i breed withing 35gal ristriction (no maximum amount of tanks)

What's your water, I got several ideas on mind but taht'd be totally pointless if you don't have adequate water.

Quote:

Q: can angelfish live in a 30gal tank (im pretty sure they can, the tank is a decent hight)

I'd pers have everybody live in the 35g and use this 30g for breeding, just my 2 cents :-D and from my pers exp I house Angels in no less then 55g as everybody knows by now prop

Quote:

Q: could i breed angel fish? probably not

Under the right conditions you can, provided you have your fish understand they can't eat the eggs :-)

Quote:

:roll: I know its confusing but please take the time to read it to help a fellow fish FINatic:lol:

I seen MUCH more confusing posts then this one lately:lol:

teddyzaper 01-25-2010 10:39 PM

ok well my water is kinda hard but not to hard, i remember then i was reaserching that it was in the range of the tetras and the cories. i cant get the exact perameters so i dont really know. could a "group" of yellow labs fit in a 50gal tank with those fish already?

also, the reason i want them in the 30gal and not the 35gal is because i dont like the shape of the 35gal, its just WAY to tall, the 30gal is still pretty tall. well ive been talking with some expert fish breeders (my dads friends) and they say that 2 angels will be ok in the tank i currently have but i should watch out cause they might eat my tetras.

I had a brilliant idea while in the shower (how ironic). i was thinking instead of breeding, i could start a small salt water tank, ill post in the saltwater forum section more about it, but do you guys think its a good idea?

Angel079 01-25-2010 11:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
No need to take my word....here's AQ advisory print for you too:-D

That "wayy too tall" is exactly what your Angels need growing up thou.

Or maybe start something like Camballus patzuarensis orange (CPOs) breeding?

iamntbatman 01-26-2010 12:51 AM

Personally, I don't like the idea of mixing mbuna with American cichlids. The diets are just too different, not to mention the water chemistry and personality differences. How big is your JD? If he's still young and fairly sociable, you could try adding another mid-sized, somewhat aggressive American cichlid such as a green terror or even a salvini. If he's got some size on him, he's probably not going to tolerate a new cichlid tankmate so you're better off adding some sort of dither fish. A school of giant danios would be nice.

What are the dimensions of the 30 and 35g? If they're tall enough they might suit angels.

I would not attempt to breed bettas unless you're really serious about it. You'd need a breeding tank with plenty of floating plants and a divider, tanks for the male and female, a large tank (40 gallons or so would do) for the female fry and individual 1 gallon jars/tanks for each of the male fry (which can number in the hundreds). Not to mention the stress of dealing with potential breeding stock that might not exactly get along with one another and feeding live foods to all of your young fry. In other words, not worth the trouble unless you've done tons of research, are incredibly enthusiastic about it, have the room, funds and time for the operation and can find someone willing to buy all of those bettas from you.

For a much, much easier breeding experience, I might suggest some sort of dwarf cichlids. Kribs are pretty darn easy to breed and are more rewarding than, say, livebearers in this respect. I've bred and raised kribensis in a single 20g community tank.

Angel079 01-26-2010 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamntbatman (Post 313076)
.... such as a green terror

For a 50g with a JD...? A single green terror needs 65g,them alone being aggressive & territorial therefore best kept alone, how does that mix well with a JD and not turn into a issue over time?:-?

teddyzaper 01-26-2010 05:55 PM

well, i do like the idea of the labs, because i can accommodate their eating habits and my water is relativley near the ideal and within the comfort of both fish. i might go with that to liven up the color (kinda dull right now because jack isnt showing colors yet). my jack dempsey is still pretty small so its not to big of a problem to introduce some new fish in with him.

i think ima go with a salt water tank, and ill be posting a lot in salt water ssection XD

teddyzaper 01-26-2010 05:57 PM

oh and one angelfish is slightly bigger then the other, like 1/2 inch, should i worry about bullying? the tank is pretty tall anyways, like 20inch so i dont think they will get to big for the tank. do honey gouramis and angels fight? just dont wanna mix them to have them fisght to the death

teddyzaper 01-26-2010 06:40 PM

this sound like a good deal?

3 AFRICAN CICHLIDS ELECTRIC YELLOW LAB LIVE TROPIC FISH - eBay (item 280454472021 end time Jan-27-10 16:51:37 PST)

also, would 3 be enough to school together or would i need to buy a few more?

iamntbatman 01-27-2010 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel079 (Post 313147)
For a 50g with a JD...? A single green terror needs 65g,them alone being aggressive & territorial therefore best kept alone, how does that mix well with a JD and not turn into a issue over time?:-?

To answer your question, sure. Most male green terrors top out at 8-9". If both purchased young, the fish may tolerate one another as time goes on. Then again, they may not. Mixing aggressive cichlids is always a gamble, but I absolutely think a single green terror would be a better companion for a single Jack Dempsey in a 50g aquarium than a group of five yellow labs. Then again, something like a group of dither fish (like the giant danios I mentioned) would probably end up being an even safer route, but he seemed interested in a second cichlid.