Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   help identifying this white spot (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/help-identifying-white-spot-359969/)

jay0884 03-03-2014 06:11 PM

help identifying this white spot

3 Attachment(s)
I woke up and found my electric blue ram with a single white spot in his lip. My other 2 rams look perfectly fine and even the electric blue look pretty healthy other than the spot. Any ideas what it could be? Thanks.Attachment 307761

Attachment 307769

Attachment 307777

Sylverclaws 03-03-2014 06:28 PM

Looks like it could be a little infection, cyst or tumor starting. It's sticking out like one of those, so it's likely not ich. But I can't see it well enough...it does look like a cyst, but it could be something else starting like mouth fungus. Keep an eye on that. I'd suggest a light antibacterial just in case, but I know these guys can be sensitive, so perhaps watch it for a little longer and see if it becomes something else that you know what it is and can treat properly. I had a neon tetra with a cyst that looked similar, little bit of salt and it popped, cleaned out and healed up really quick, but I dunno how rams would be with the salt...I can't remember anymore.

rsskylight04 03-04-2014 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sylverclaws (Post 4037673)
Looks like it could be a little infection, cyst or tumor starting. It's sticking out like one of those, so it's likely not ich. But I can't see it well enough...it does look like a cyst, but it could be something else starting like mouth fungus. Keep an eye on that. I'd suggest a light antibacterial just in case, but I know these guys can be sensitive, so perhaps watch it for a little longer and see if it becomes something else that you know what it is and can treat properly. I had a neon tetra with a cyst that looked similar, little bit of salt and it popped, cleaned out and healed up really quick, but I dunno how rams would be with the salt...I can't remember anymore.

Good eye Sylver. Looks like mouth Fungus to me, but i am NOT an expert and have only my experience and a bit of research to speak from. First thing i do when i see a troubling white/ grey spot is to change 25% water per day for two to three days. 95% of the time, that solves the problem. Hope its not ich. I'm treating a Ram for ich now, it sucks!

jay0884 03-06-2014 09:03 AM

Hey guys thanks for the responses. Yeah I'm not sure it mouth fungus. Its still only a single white pimple on his lip. And my other 2 rams show no signs of catching it. In fact they are currently guarding a batch of eggs laid recently. Im leaning mire towards cyst or tumor?? Or could it still be mouth fungus just its not spreading??

Sylverclaws 03-06-2014 07:51 PM

It's likely a cyst or little infection. Hope against the tumor there. x.x I hate tumors, they can be iffy. Last two mouth tumors I had that appeared on fish killed them within two weeks. A lot of times the little buggars are cancer. But yours looks more like, as you called it, a pimple and that makes it more likely to be infection. Perhaps he got nommed by your brooding pair. =)

Anyways, if you have a QT tank, I suggest moving him to it and treating him with a dual antibacterial and anti-fungal that is safe for rams. Something light. If they can handle salt, and I honestly can't recall if they can, a tad of salt will help if it's infection or cyst...may smack it a little if it's fungus but usually wont clear it out.

cyclesnipas 03-06-2014 08:48 PM

You mentioned the others are guarding eggs right? Is it possible his lip coulda got injured fighting with the others? May be a fungal infection from the injury.

rsskylight04 03-06-2014 09:20 PM

If it hasn't grown or spead its probaly not mouth fungus like it guessed at first. Make sure its not ich. Ich can grow in your fishes gills and not really show much at first. Then before you know it, your fish is covered in spots. You gotta be really careful with ich because its 100% fatal if left untreated. Ca!n you post an updated picture?
Good luck

Flint 03-07-2014 07:27 AM

It's not ich based on the picture.

jay0884 03-14-2014 10:39 AM

Hey guys. I'll try and post a fresh pic of it today. But its still just a single white spot. Some days it looks a tad bigger and others a tad smaller. I was thinking maybe it was an injury but it hasn't healed or anything so I'm not sure. Maybe a cyst or tumor? I Don't really know. But its hasn't spread to either of my other 2 rams and he's eating just fine. His does clamp his tail fin but only when being chased by either of the other 2 rams.

Sylverclaws 03-14-2014 11:16 AM

Ah yes, it sounds like a cyst or abscess, likely if it's getting bigger and smaller, plus it LOOKS like one, but a tumor is possible too.
A cyst is just a sac filled with yucky fluid, they can blow or not and they can get big. An abscess is more like an infection filled with pus, tend to happen from an injury(and this is likely, and are often mistaken for cysts...because you have a breeding pair of rams in there and he could have been nipped or chased until he hit something, causing a bruise and then what you likely have here, an abscess).

For both I would treat it with an antibacterial that is safe for rams. If they can handle aquarium salt that's a nice antibacterial and you wouldn't have to do more than put in a little bit.
Since it's been here a while and hasn't gone or shrunk and stayed shrunk, you should do a quick clean of the tank and treat him with a light antibacterial, the fact it seems to be growing and shrinking tells me something it upsetting it(or it could be a tumor...but if it is and it's growing and shrinking it's likely a real nasty one). Nothing huge for now, it may just need a little help to pop and go away. Otherwise...well, if it is a cyst or abscess, a cyst may become a problem since they can sometimes keep growing and get HUGE, but an abscess will eventually pop and drain on its own...pretty rare for the infection to get into the bloodstream when they go off, but it CAN happen and the water has to be pristine to keep a new or worse infection from happening.