Tropical Fish Keeping banner

planted tank - more plants to follow

3K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  Kelso 
#1 ·
Hoping to put some sort of plant "carpet" into about 75% of the tank soon. Freshwater aquarium Aquarium decor Vegetation Aquatic plant Aquarium

See less See more
Reactions: CM1429
#5 ·
VERY NICE set up!!!!
Just 2 suggestions 1) The Java Fern will thrive better out of the gravel and attached to driftwood 2) turn off the air pump as its driving out your needed CO2 for the plants :)
What these two said: Red Plant? and Angel gets a +1

#4 ·
VERY NICE set up!!!!
Just 2 suggestions 1) The Java Fern will thrive better out of the gravel and attached to driftwood 2) turn off the air pump as its driving out your needed CO2 for the plants :)

#7 ·
Unfortunately it's called "fake" and is the only plant in the tank thats not real...sorry :oops:, haven't yet been able to find a plant of simillar size, shape and colour thats real but l will, and once I do I'll have it's name on here straight away:).

Kenster

#8 ·
Bummer. It looked real.

#11 ·
If it makes anyone feel better I'll kid on its real until I "actually" find a real one:lol:!!!!

It must be an imitation of something!! Just need to find out what that something is :-?

#13 ·
hehe lol

Ive pm'd Byron to see if he can id the plant or else to see if it really is just a fake made up in someones imagination.

I feel dead guilty posting that under the title "planted tank", only to find the plant everyone wants info on is the plastic one:-(

#15 ·
Hoping to put some sort of plant "carpet" into about 75% of the tank soon. View attachment 8052 [/QUOTE

Hi Angel

I've got some java growing on bogwood and on rocks in another tank, wanted this java to act as a sort of green wall infront of the cave, it is growing but much slower than the stuff in the other tank. I'm gonna bear with it until I see signs of it looking unhealthy at which time i'll attach it to something.

My bigger question is regarding the air bubble wall...

I'm not disagreeing With you but I am looking to discuss:-D I've seen lots of literature saying that what you said is correct, BUT I've seen other stuff that says any sort of aggravation of the top of the water shall increase the CO2 in the tank. So is the air bubble wall not actually doing both? I really only want to do the best thing for the fish / plants / tank but every other post seems to be contradictory.

Hope it's obvious that this is said in a quest for knowledge and NOT to contradict or disagree with your earlier post :)

Cheers

Kenster

#16 ·
Kenster has asked me via a profile message to identify the possible "live" plant that corresponds to the fake red plant in his aquarium.

I immediately thought of Alternanthera reineckii when I saw the photo, although the structure is quite different. A. reineckii is a stem plant from South America that can have quite deep red leaves under the right conditions, and it grows to about 20 inches, and is commonly available which is something many red leaf plants are not, at least here where I live. Two variants are A. reineckii 'lilacina' (more reddish/pink) and A. reineckii 'roseafolia'.

A closer plant in structure would be Ammania gracilis, another stem plant, this one from Africa, a fast grower with leaves that develop a red hue.

Yet another stem plant somewhat similar is Hygrophyla polysperma "Ceylon" which also takes on a red hue, and is also fast growing. Then there is the stem plant Limnophila aromatica that is quite deep ruby red, a slower gowing plant that requires bright light and significant iron to be blazing red. And also not similar but a fast growing red stem plant from Asia, Rotala macrandra.

A photo of each of the above is attached for reference, but not in the same order--you'll have to figure that out;-). Again, I'm not implying any of these are the model for the plastic plant, but to create a similar appearance these would fit. Byron.

Attachments

#17 ·
Really appreciate that mate, thanks very much.

I'll be having a look to see if I can get at least a couple of the plants you've mentioned and I'd be pretty sure others would be making enquiries.:)

Again you ( like everyone on here ) are back in touch shortly after I posted the question, thanks.

Feeling happier constantly that I stumbled across this site.

Cheers again

kenster

#18 ·
Just another idea for you plant search here AquariumPlants.com Largest online sales / service site for the live aquarium plants & aquarium products community. as it has longer leaf's then the Alternanthera and thou it look pretty pinkish on this picture is more red indeed and its leaf's are longer sorta like your fake plant there.

I'm sorry in all these years I've read no such thing from any reputable person, nor would this make any sense to me. Just by physics alone, these bubbles naturally drive out whatever if inside the water, that's your CO2 for example, so you drive that out then what will your plants use, next to nothing, hindering growth of the plants, that can't be a goal of any planted tank!?

#19 · (Edited)
I'm not disagreeing With you but I am looking to discuss:-D I've seen lots of literature saying that what you said is correct, BUT I've seen other stuff that says any sort of aggravation of the top of the water shall increase the CO2 in the tank. So is the air bubble wall not actually doing both? I really only want to do the best thing for the fish / plants / tank but every other post seems to be contradictory.
I was concentrating on plant ID previously and missed the paragraph about surface disturbance until I read Natalie's subsequent post and came back to find out what prompted it. Natalie is correct, and I don't know where you read that surface disturbance would increase the CO2 (carbon dioxide) level in the water, but that is simply inaccurate from my quite extensive research.

Surface disturbance and any disturbance within the water column such as via air bubbles from airstones will cause CO2 to be driven out of the water faster. At the same time, oxygen will enter the water at the surface in both cases; when the bubbles from an airstone reach the surface, the CO2 is expelled and oxygen enters the water to replace it.

Quickening this gaseous exchange with excess surface disturbance and/or bubble effects is detrimental to plant growth for two reasons: CO2 is driven out before the plants can use it, and the increase in oxygen is believed to result in plants having more difficulty assimilating nutrients from the water. I go into this a bit more in Part 3 of my four stickies at the head of this section. As I mention therein, plants have enough difficulty assimilating CO2 in water and don't need the aquarist making it more so.

Many in this hobby have different approaches to various aspects, and that is fine because our tanks are not the same [in more ways than mere appearance] and there are often a number of different methods for this or that. However, some of the underlying concepts that can make or break an aquarium, or at least make it healthier or less so, are scientific and we must deal with the consequences. Now, science and scientists can be wrong; but when I see eminent biologists and botanists in agreement on certain "scientific" things I tend to accept that concensus. When one adds to this a success in planted aquaria or whatever than spans more than a decade by following that method, I believe it adds a certain amount of weight.

Byron.

#21 ·
Alternanthera reineckii!!! I'm getting a bunch of those for my 75 gallon here soon!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.