Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
-   -   Just setup 29G Biocube.... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/just-setup-29g-biocube-35980/)

Realistik84 01-25-2010 12:15 PM

Just setup 29G Biocube....

So I set it up over the weekend.

I maintained everything stock at this point.

I added 30lbs aragonite
I added 20lbs of premium pre-cured live rock (selected pieces with lots of coralline)

Here are my questions:
- What should I look for over the next days/week?
- When should I look to add my CUC?
- When and how often should I test?

I broke some rules, and am wondering if I will learn to regret it?

For instance, in speaking with LFS, they said tap water at this point is fine, and the only risk is algae growth? I did this because to get RO/DI water and fill 29 gallon worth would be a pain...thoughts?

Should I leave lights on normal cycle? What cycle is said to be best?
I purchased this power strip -->
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753204
Did anyone else use this and what do you think?

Waiting on wifey to find charger for camera then will post pics...

Pasfur 01-25-2010 01:05 PM

I think you are fine. It would have been ideal to start with RO, but this isn't going to be the end all of success for you. Just be careful about this stuff. Cutting corners in a marine tank can be a serious mistake.

At this point monitor for ammonia and nitrite. You may not see any readings at all, depending on the quality of the live rock you purchased and how long it had been at the LFS.

Within a couple of weeks your diatom bloom will begin. At this point add a small CUC, and begin testing for alkalinity and calcium, adding buffers and calcium supplement as needed.

The light cycle is not relevant until you get corals. It is more for your personal viewing pleasure.

Realistik84 01-25-2010 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasfur (Post 312603)
I think you are fine. It would have been ideal to start with RO, but this isn't going to be the end all of success for you. Just be careful about this stuff. Cutting corners in a marine tank can be a serious mistake.

At this point monitor for ammonia and nitrite. You may not see any readings at all, depending on the quality of the live rock you purchased and how long it had been at the LFS.

Within a couple of weeks your diatom bloom will begin. At this point add a small CUC, and begin testing for alkalinity and calcium, adding buffers and calcium supplement as needed.

The light cycle is not relevant until you get corals. It is more for your personal viewing pleasure.

Thanks. I have seen the advice you give others in the past. I think it is awesome that you are so passionate about something to enable others to be successful due to that passion. In other words thanks for being awesome!!!

They said the live rock has been there about 4 months (not sure how true...)

It was out of water for about 1hr 30 mins.

So if I get this advice you gave me, I should wait for some algae (diatoms...are they the same?) to form before adding a CUC.

The LFS told me come back in about a week to add a CUC and 1 clown or something...too early?

Pasfur 01-25-2010 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Realistik84 (Post 312711)

The LFS told me come back in about a week to add a CUC and 1 clown or something...too early?

I think it is far to early to add a Clownfish. You could add a CUC, but this causes some harm. They will browse on the microfauna that are growing in your sand and live rock. Copepods, amphipods, etc. These little critters will appreciate a few weeks to spread without having their populations lessened by opportunistic feeders.

My only goal for the first 2 or 3 weeks is to get very strong populations of microfauna growing. If left alone, within a couple of weeks you will see copepods covering the front glass and amphipods scurrying about in the sand. This takes a trained eye, so watch closely for several minutes. Your eyes will adjust and begin to recognize what you did not see there before.

In a couple of weeks you will begin to see a light brown dusting on the rock and sand. It will happen almost overnight and cover almost everything. This is the diatom bloom. This is when I advise adding the first 1/3 of your CUC.

Realistik84 01-25-2010 07:28 PM

Well noted. I am all for being patient, especially considering cost lol.

Here is the latest update. I ran tests using API Marine Master Test kit

High Range PH - 7.8ish
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0
Ammonia - 0
Salinity - 1.245

Here is what concerns me.....MY TANK IS COMPLETELY WHITE! :shock:

Using my freshwater knowledge this typically means ammonio spike, but according to tests above it reads 0. WHAT DO I DO HAHAHAHA

Here are some pictures:
Keepin it Real with da Walczaks: Tank Today

I am all for posting picture in here, but am unsure how.

Pasfur 01-26-2010 08:19 AM

It looks like your sand was stirred up. I would test for ammonia and nitrite again in 24 hours, just to see what you get.

Here is how to upload pics:
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/h...ictures-18568/

I personally download pics to Photobucket, then just copy the img code into the thread. Very easy.

Realistik84 01-26-2010 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasfur (Post 313134)
It looks like your sand was stirred up. I would test for ammonia and nitrite again in 24 hours, just to see what you get.

Here is how to upload pics:
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/h...ictures-18568/

I personally download pics to Photobucket, then just copy the img code into the thread. Very easy.

Thanks - that really helps.

I noticed this morning that the cloudiness has subsided somewhat. It is still cloudy, but not nearly as much.

I will keep an eye on it throughout the week.

On a side note - I purchased a Red Sea Hydrometer
Aquarium Testing: Red Sea Hydrometer with Liquid Crystal Thermometer

So far, I am not pleased. I read the instructions thoroughly and cannot get an accurate reading. Also, the digital thermometer is not working. I will be trying to figure it out today otherwise it is going back.

I know I have to be patient and let things settle....but man it can be frustrating. I know the beauty will make it rewarding though. I cant wait to get some nice pics up here for everyone.

Realistik84 01-27-2010 11:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The tank is definately clearing up now. I am going to set the measurables again tonight.

Here is the latest picture...I re-scaped the live rock. I am so excited about this setup!:-P

Pasfur 01-27-2010 02:27 PM

Very nice. I like the aquascapping! I know the picture is cloudy, but I don't see any power heads. Be sure to add at least one, and preferably 2 as soon as possible. Water circulation is critical to helping prevent problem algae and cyno outbreaks.

teddyzaper 01-27-2010 07:28 PM

looking good, i also really like the aquascaping! i hope mine will turn out at least half as good!