Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Do BN's prefer to be in pairs (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/do-bns-prefer-pairs-35976/)

kenster 01-25-2010 12:35 PM

Do BN's prefer to be in pairs

I've got a nice big male bristlenose (about 8 inches) with huge bristles:-). He seems happy and active in the evenings (in his cave most of the day). Would he be happier in a pair and if so would it make any difference the age of a new companion. And if he would be happier in a pair how do you "sex" a young female BN?

Kenster

willow 01-25-2010 05:26 PM

hi
i don't think they need another,he may find it an intrusion(sp)of his space.

aunt kymmie 01-25-2010 06:22 PM

I've read that it's very common for two male bristles to fight for territory so unless you got a female (and wanted lots of babies) I wouldn't do it.

OoohBarracuda 01-25-2010 07:04 PM

my BN and my black pleco will sometimes ram eachother for space on the glass (not that there isn't a 46 gallon tank worth of space to suck onto). other than that they stay on opposite sides of the tank. i think they would both be happier without the other haha.

stephanieleah 01-26-2010 05:40 PM

I agree from what I've read and seen on youtube :-)

I've read that they are okay in multiples when young, but then get territorial over time.

My BN, under a year old I believe, has recently taken to "claiming" his algae tab by bumping around his body when the loaches, formerly welcome guests on the tab, will eat around his mouth.

eileen 01-26-2010 05:57 PM

Are you sure it's a Bushy nosed pleco? They only get to be 4-5 inches max full grown. You said yours is 8" big maybe it's a common pleco they can grow to about 12". I have had more then 2 and the bigger one would chase the other smaller ones away and take over all the bottom pellets. Unless you want lots of babies I say 1 would be ok and yours is a big one at 8".

kenster 01-26-2010 05:57 PM

cheers steph,

Think I'll leave him to be lord of the manor and the BIGGEST daddy in the tank :-D

kenster

kenster 01-26-2010 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eileen (Post 313396)
Are you sure it's a Bushy nosed pleco? They only get to be 4-5 inches max full grown. You said yours is 8" big maybe it's a common pleco they can grow to about 12". I have had more then 2 and the bigger one would chase the other smaller ones away and take over all the bottom pellets. Unless you want lots of babies I say 1 would be ok and yours is a big one at 8".

Defo a bristlenose, I'll post a photo shortly....he's huge!!!:-D

aunt kymmie 01-26-2010 07:45 PM

Post a pic of that bad boy. I've never seen a bristle that large before!!

kenster 01-27-2010 03:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Haven't got a good one yet with something to show scale, as soon as I move he's off like a shot. Only just in from work and busy tonight but I'll get a good one up soon. Here's a cracker of him face on....i'm sure he's smiling:-D

Kenster