Tropical Fish Keeping banner

The beginning of my 75!

8K views 55 replies 15 participants last post by  rosehower 
#1 ·

Gotta start somewhere right?

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks like a good start to me! I look forward to seeing more of it!

#4 ·
Amazon River Theme - Gonna be planted and beautiful when all is done.

#8 ·
Which sand did you use there; is it play sand...cause it looks so bright/ white?

#9 ·
i was talking to a friend that works in a fish store the other day and she was suggesting pool filter sand that you would get at a pool and hottub supply store if you want bright white sand that won't cloud up the water. It also is built for pool filters, therefore it won't mess with the hardness of your water.

#12 ·
I'm gonna have to see if they have that here too; thanks Kelso!

#13 · (Edited)
Well after I pretty much just made myself feel like an idiot, I thought to myself...I have three tanks running with plenty of stuff I can use to seed my tank...so thus starts the addition of the sole survivor from whom the tank I bought from owned - The Silver Dollar, Survivor. He was in this tank for 6 years...5 of which he was totally alone. I seeded some material from my one filter and put it in the AC 500 I got. I figure there should be plenty of bacteria to handle this one fish in a 75. I also got my Filstar XP2 and it is quiet and beautiful!works without any problems whatsoever. It's a process. Next on the list: Plants!

Don't worry guys...this is TOTALLY temporary. I know silver dollars are a schooling fish...I will figure something out to make him comfortable. Unfortunately, I didnt have a choice. If I wanted the tank, he came with it. I don't like silver dollars =/

#14 ·
Seeding will work just fine, that's how I set up all my tanks (expect for the initial first one) and then start stocking slowly. Just keep an eye on yur parameters *just in case* and all will be cool.
Donno if its just the pic looking this way, but one of your hoses coming of the canister (the 1 to the right rear in the pic) looks kinked, not ideal if that's the case (and not just the pic fooling me).

If you don't like Silver Dollar....why not take him to the LFS for exchange of XYZ other fish???

#15 ·
That's what I was considering. None of my LFS offer trade/discount when giving them a fish. I mean it's better than me having the one. But at the same time, I almost wanna keep him cuz like I said, he's a survivor. But he compromises what I wanna do...Plant the tank. Gah...I just hafta make the decision. Most likely I will trade him in, or give him to the fish store. I went and double checked the canister, it's all good. ;) It was "slightly bent" but I just turned the hose a little. Didn't do anything bad!

#16 ·
Yea that's a tough one...your tank, you need to know for yourself where its supposed to go in the future and if he'll fit in there or not :)

Alight glad to hear, hate hoses that sneak up and kink on you w/out saying anything :)

#17 ·
Update

Photo is a little blurry and the water hasn't fully settled. Those are my plants that I have ordered...just gotta make it a little more presentable!

#19 ·
Ohhh that Pennywort is so gonna fill that back out nicely. Once it reaches the top/ or height you like, just pinch it off & stick it back in the ground that'll speed up filling it in for ya :)

What all else did you get, its a lil hard to see?

#21 ·
Haha! That's what I already had to do. The pennywort was SO long I had no choice but to snip it and replant it! I cannot wait for it to fill out!

As for the plants I got:
3 Amazon Swords
2 Kleiner Bar Swords
1 Red Rubin Sword
Lots of Dwarf Sag
Lots of Narrowleaf Chain Sword
3 Alternathera Reinckii
And the pennywort

Love, love, love it!! What is the reddish looking plant? I'm working on my plant list too so I can place my order with Mary ;-)
That would be Alternathera Reinckii. Caught my eye when I was looking through Amazon origin plants.

Yeah, every time I see pennywort it catches my eye right away. I can't wait to see the growth in this tank! Job well done, Kelso!
Thank you!

#22 ·
I realized that too with my 2nd shipment when I had 1 Pennywort ordered...not only do I think Mary mixed up something about the ONE but the one's I did get where super long; I cut all in half before I even planted them lol

Uuuhhhh love the Kleiner Bar too bad they were sold out last time; you gotta take me a pic of yours when you have time pleaseee.

hm what ya mean by "lots" narrowleaf chain....I just posted in your other thread how's growing like weed....so I hope you loveeeee having a BUNCH and then some over the next 6 weeks :lol:

Really love the plant combo that's gonna be looking real nice a few weeks from now!!!!

#24 ·
Uuuhhhh love the Kleiner Bar too bad they were sold out last time; you gotta take me a pic of yours when you have time pleaseee.

Really love the plant combo that's gonna be looking real nice a few weeks from now!!!!
Will do! I really love all the swords I got. They all were in great shape. I'm so excited. I go to the pet store tomorrow and that's when I'll be picking up my extra ferts. I ran out today, but I need to get some of that NutraFin fert sticks quick. It does wonders in my 28 gallon.

I'm so excited about your tank. It already looks amazing! I'm so subscribing to this thread hoping you'll keep the photos coming!
Don't worry! I like Showing off ;)

#25 ·
Oh yea the Swords and the Narroleaf and all will sure enjoy that. If you can't find the Nutrafin; I'm using API and that works well on the Sword plants.

#26 ·
Pictures???

#31 ·
Next on my list is some driftwood. Granted I planted everything, but I got an eye for creative placement. I also moved the puffers in there today!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.