Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Angel - light question (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/angel-light-question-35959/)

rsn48 01-25-2010 12:04 AM

Angel - light question

Hi Angel, I believe it was you that was recommending Philips florescence bulbs for tank use. As you may or may not recall, I bought a ten gallon to use as a quarantine tank but I might cheat and set it up for use downstairs, my large tank is upstairs in my bedroom (not set up yet - Olympics).

I was looking at Philips lights but I couldn't remember what you recommended (you were talking to some one else in another thread). What fluorescent bulbs do you recommend?

mrdemin 01-25-2010 12:20 AM

All flourecents are typically the same... It all comes down to wattage and kelvin rating. I believe she has some energy saving bulbs that she mentioned light up slowly. Oh, it also comes down to price I guess.
You're looking for 1-1.5 w/g, anything after 2 watts per gallon you will probably run into algea problems and need co2.
(sorry I'm not angel)

beetlebz 01-25-2010 02:20 AM

what size light fixture do you use rsn? already got a fixture and just need bulbs? angel certainly converted me :)

rsn48 01-25-2010 10:18 AM

I bought this older tank from the Sally Anne, for $12; it came with the older fashion light hood that takes double incandescent lights. I know these types of lights throw off lots of heat so I thought I would use a fluorescent jobbie instead.

Angel079 01-25-2010 01:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello (sorry I'm a lil cory-egg delayed this AM lol)

Here's a picture of my 10g hood for ya; filled with 2 daylight bulbs @ 6500K from 'Bright effects'.

Really any home store will do and any size bulb that fits your socket in your hood; mostly they're called Daylight or Ultimate Daylight, come from companies like Phillips, GE, Salvina, Bright Effets.....
What you wanna have on the compact fluorescent is some who's wattage equal about 1wpg; anything labeled daylight (which is a full spectrum) and read the small print for Kelvin rating, ideally 5-6500K for fish & plants.

I get all mine, big & small at Lowes, but the availability apparently varies from State to state so I donno what's available to you. Price are (for the small one's seen below) for a 2 pack $3 and for the 2-pack 4ft florescent for me ~$5-6

Hope this helps :-D

beetlebz 01-25-2010 06:12 PM

i bought 14 watt daylight curly q florescents from lowes for less than 5 bucks I think for a 4 pack after my chat with angel, originally. i wound up upgrading to 18 watters for my planted tank but they werent much more than that! now that im converted im trying to FIND the incandescent hoods!

rsn48 01-25-2010 09:01 PM

The problem, and I could be wrong, is that if I put a double bulb fluorescent bulb in the tank will have an extraordinary amount of light; as one fluorescent bulb rated at 10 watts is really more like 40 watts in incandescent light. So if I put two ten watt bulbs in, it would be like lighting the tank with around 80 watts.

Angel079 01-25-2010 09:11 PM

What I use on mine there (the pic you see there) is the Daylight one's from Bright effects (and for my lil tanks with the screw ins that's the ONLY thing I use) and they're 7w when supposedly giving off something like 40w. As you see in the pic they're set up as 2 lights as well. Works wonderful for me (my plants) and it is by FAR less bright in the light its giving off then a normal 15" florescent tube is (if you hold 'em next to one another comparing) and they give off no heat really.

The plants I have under which I use these light set ups: Crypts, Java Moss, Mermid's Weed, dwarf hairgrass, Java Ferns, Pennywort, Vallis (i *think* that's in in these tanks lol)

You can see the whole tank set up (with these very lights) under my aquarium log, half way down "New Shrimp farm"

There's several other members that also switched to these very lights successfully so I'll hope they chime in to this thread as well.

Edit: IF this light set up was too high as you're worried about my crypts would have literally been melted away many weeks ago. Oh and its got Sagaterria in it too :-)

iamntbatman 01-26-2010 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beetlebz (Post 312755)
i bought 14 watt daylight curly q florescents from lowes for less than 5 bucks I think for a 4 pack after my chat with angel, originally. i wound up upgrading to 18 watters for my planted tank but they werent much more than that! now that im converted im trying to FIND the incandescent hoods!

Unfortunately, I've only ever seen incandescent hoods for 10g and smaller tanks. Here's a really good thread that shows step-by-step how to convert regular strip lights into high-powered CFL fixtures using the same kind of screw-in CFL bulbs.

beetlebz 01-26-2010 11:18 PM

they are hard to find, but they are out there. i bought a 30" double incandescent hood from a petland discounts eons ago. i disassembled it and used the guts mounted to a shelf over a 10g :)