Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Hello from the east coast (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/hello-east-coast-35844/)

Spike762 01-23-2010 01:21 PM

Hello from the east coast

Hey everyone, I've already posted a few times and posted pictures in the "Members Photos" section, but figured I'd make a proper hello.

A little background- 20 years old, part-time soldier (National Guard), full-time hobbyist. I raise turtles, collect guns, am a student of history, kayak like it's my job, pound my truck in the woods, ride my harley davidson 883cc Sportster and I worry too much about aliens. I was active duty Army, but Iraq took all the fun out of soldiering for a little while, but I'm going back in September.. the guard is good, but just isn't for me right now. So, here I am at home.

I only became seriously involved in aquariums this past summer. I keep aquatic turtles and of course they live in aquariums, where I also keep my fish. I've got two tanks, on 20g and one 40g. The 20 gallon tank has one small red ear slider turtle, along with 2 rosie-red minnows, one fancy guppy and a chinese algea eater. This turtle doesn't hunt too often, but maybe once a month a minnow will dissapear. The algea eater is smart, he survived 2 slider's and lived with a snapper turtle before that. In my 40 gallon resides two eastern painted turtles and one red belly cooter. I've got a nice sized pleco, 2 comet goldfish, 4 or 5 fancy guppies of varying color and 2 rosie red minnows. These turtles are a little older and a little more violent, they take about one fish a week, sometimes more. I've got a soft spot for the guppies though, when I have a "fish only" tank I'll be sure to have some of them in there, and I'm even thinking of breeding them so I don't have to keep buying.

My goal is to re-home my rescued turtles, keep my RES properly housed, and have a seperate, dedicated fish tank for all my finned friends.

-Spike

Badidea04 01-23-2010 02:13 PM

im with ya on the alien thing lol!

willow 01-23-2010 02:15 PM

hello and welcome.
i hope you enjoy your stay here with us.
it's not the aliens you worry about its the gremlins.

mrdemin 01-23-2010 11:45 PM

Welcome to the forum!

iamntbatman 01-23-2010 11:51 PM

Welcome to the forum!

dramaqueen 01-24-2010 12:23 AM

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Twistersmom 01-24-2010 08:24 AM

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Spike762 01-24-2010 12:22 PM

Thanks everybody!

-Spike

aunt kymmie 01-25-2010 03:50 PM

Welcome to the forum, Spike. You've posted pics of your fish & turtles, when do we get to see a pic of your little lap dog?? :-)

JohnnyD44 01-25-2010 04:44 PM

welcome!