Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   NEW 100+ gallon tank setup (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/new-100-gallon-tank-setup-35815/)

m4d1 01-23-2010 06:17 AM

NEW 100+ gallon tank setup

!I APOLOGIZE IN ADVANCE FOR NOOB-NESS AND THE LENGTH OF THIS MSG, YOU MAY CRITIQUE ALL YOU WANT CAUSE I NEED THE HELP!

I think the tank is over 100 gallons, like 112 or so. Anyway I currently have a tank, with water in it >.>; I haven't cycled it yet nor do I have it setup yet. I just have a HOB filter running and and air pump making bubbles, and a powerhead (pump?) going. I was just checking all the equipment to see if it worked and I left them on cause it sounds pretty. The filter is filtering bio stuff, just some foam inserts collecting all the cat hair floating around ( I don't have the hood on the aquarium yet ).

SO... I have another Filter coming through the mail a Marineland Emperor 400, I think the other one is the same thing its just older and doesn't have the bio-wheels. All the equipment I currently have is previously owned btw. And i'll be getting all the other equipment I need within 7 business days. Now for the fish questions (if I missed anything let me know)

I want two peacock eels :) The husband wants oscar(s) and maybe some plecos.
Is that too many fish? will the oscars be ok with the other fish? and would rubber lipped pleco be too small to put with oscars?(I didn't want anything too spiney) If you have any other suggestions on similar fish im up for it!

I've read alot about all those fish and aquariums and alot of stuff @.@ I've had the tank with my imaginary fish in it for like 3 months now, I'm ready to get down to business and finish setup and cycle.

Also should I keep the power head in? I know they are good for dead spots.

THANK YOU SO MUCH! ANY INFORMATION IS EXTREMELY VALUABLE PLEASE TELL ME IF I MISSED ANYTHING OR YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS!

Silverthorne 01-23-2010 07:37 AM

112gal = 420l. That's quite a big tank you got there!

What substrate have you got and perhaps a larger canister filter would be good for filtration. Power heads are usually used in marine tanks but with that volume and angled properly i guess it'll be good to have! Just see if you can find an attachment for it that can hold filter media.

If you've got your tank running with pumps and substrate it will cycle as long as you add a little food to decompose.

Oscars are agro fish and will eat almost anything that will fit in its mouth. Pleco's should be safe though imho.

m4d1 01-23-2010 07:59 AM

Thanks! I've looked into canister filters but they don't really seem like they would work for me? I really new at having a larger tank, the HOBs seemed like the best choice for right now though ill probably switch them out later once i get used to everything. And i dont have any substrate or plants yet, but ill get those within this next week :)

Angel079 01-23-2010 09:18 AM

Welcome to the forum!

For starers I'm gonna give you a few links on hand that I'd recommend reading (rather then me repeating it all here).

For one, be SURE what tank size you have, measure all 3 sides of the tank and calculate the volume here Aquarium System Volume Calculator

Peacock eels are reported sizes of 15" in the wilderness, but apparently don't get much bigger then 6" in captivity. That said and a adult Oscar or two growing to be 12-14"...I'm very unsure they wouldn't wind up as a snack once your Oscars are adults.

A possibility for you (obviously liking larger fish) may be more colorful fish such as cichlids which you can house in large groups in your tank, so then you could have a verity of fish, not only 2 Oscar?
See Cichlid photo examples here https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/...t=1&page_num=1

Angel079 01-23-2010 09:20 AM

For plants...as far as substrate, lighting and nutrition...if you go to this sub-folder to the very top you'll find 4 Sticky notes that cover the needs of plants for a set up that won't fail you :-)
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/aquarium-plants/

m4d1 01-23-2010 04:43 PM

Thanks for all the info, I'm pretty sure my tank is 48x18x30. I've read that its better to have 1 oscar or many oscars, not just a few. But as far as getting another cichlid im afraid its probably going to be 1 oscar or no oscars. The first that I will probably get is the peacock eel, and I night not get anything else if I fall inlove lol. Thanks for the links too, they were very helpful!

iamntbatman 01-24-2010 12:25 AM

That tank sounds like 110 high.

Honestly, even if you went with a larger species of eel such as the fire eel, I'm not sure it would be a good idea to keep them with larger cichlids. Eels tend to be pretty shy creatures and might be even more reclusive if big rowdy cichlids are around (even if the cichlids don't actually cause them any harm). Also, eels are pretty picky eaters; many will only eat live foods and can take some encouragement, which would be quite difficult in a tank full of oscars, which are like aquatic garbage disposals.

m4d1 01-24-2010 07:30 PM

So i'll just get the eel and plecos for now then, and maybe some gouramis? Should I add the plecos first or does it matter?

iamntbatman 01-24-2010 09:15 PM

What species of pleco were you considering?

Many types of pleco are pretty hardy fish so I would probably add the plecos before the eels. Gouramis would probably work well with eels as they tend to stay up top and aren't typically aggressive to other types of fish. Other sorts of shy oddball predators might also make good companions (bushfish, African brown knives, etc.).

Remember that you'll want a soft substrate (very smooth gravel or sand) for eels as they like to burrow and you don't want them getting scratched up.

m4d1 01-25-2010 06:13 AM

Those are just the fish available at petsmart, I don't think they have any of the other fish you named. (petsmart is the only supplier we have -.-) I asked what type of substrate i need for the eels and they told me the regular triangular colored rocks would be ok O.o; Thats before I came home and researched them and learned alot about peacock eels. They actually do have them in soft substrate though so idk why they didn't tell me the same kind. And I was thinking about a bristlenose pleco, female.