Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Can someone help me with my Amazon Swords (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/can-someone-help-me-my-amazon-357938/)

Scott7975 02-28-2014 03:57 PM

Can someone help me with my Amazon Swords

2 Attachment(s)
Hi, I am new to planted tanks. I currently have two 10 gallon tanks with just one male betta each. They also have one amazon sword each. I use fluorite substrate in both tanks. I also put an API Root Tab in each tank two days after I put them in there. They have been in there for about two weeks now. The leaves are still green but they seem to be wilting. Can someone help me to determine what my plant needs? Here are pictures of each plant...

Scott7975 02-28-2014 04:37 PM

I think I might have figured out the problem. Maybe I am wrong... I bought this sword in a tube at Petsmart. I just watched a video on how to trim and plant a sword. The plant in the video had many nice thick white roots. The plant I got from amazon had maybe 3 very threadlike white roots. Can my problem be that the plant had crappy roots to begin with? I mean the roots were literally the size of thread you would use to sew with. The ones in the video were real thick.

sandybottom 02-28-2014 06:30 PM

that or since they were from a tube,they could be adjusting to growing underwater.trim any older or wilting leaves.this will give the plant energy to put more roots down.

Flint 02-28-2014 06:58 PM

I agree with Sandy. Could we solicit some full-tank shots, by chance? (;

Austin 02-28-2014 07:05 PM

Hmmmm, roots shouldn't matter that much I think. I've noticed when I buy plants with hardly any roots, they always recover and grow new roots, as long as I can keep them buried in the substrate. If they are rotted though not sure, I always cut the rotted ones out.

It's probably transitioning from being grown above water to being grown under water. The leaves are completely different so it has to grow new leaves when being grown under water. The old leaves die off in the beginning. Hopefully it is just that. It seems like you are doing everything right. The leaves look wrinkley but I think it's okay. The plants look healthy. It's probably focusing it's energy on growing roots right now.

Scott7975 02-28-2014 08:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the advice. I will wait it out and see how they do. Here are the full tank shots requested...

Scott7975 02-28-2014 08:09 PM

Oh... and I did take them both out today and took off a couple leaves that looked to be almost dead.

Austin 02-28-2014 10:02 PM

I wouldn't take them out it probably bugs them. You want to let them root themselves, and then don't disturb them. Just stick scissors in to cut off the leaves.
Posted via Mobile Device

Captain Jim Dandy 03-01-2014 12:07 AM

Are they buried a little deep, maybe? Aren't the rhisomes suppossed to be exposed a little bit?

Scott7975 03-01-2014 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Jim Dandy (Post 4017714)
Are they buried a little deep, maybe? Aren't the rhisomes suppossed to be exposed a little bit?

There are buried as little as I can get them without them floating.